Question from new Aquarium owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoray

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How strong should the water current be in the tank! I just put fish in on Saturday (starting with cherry barbs) and I put a betta in, we are waiting to add some Angel Fish in a couple of days. The poor betta is just being pushed around! The smaller fish seem used to it. I am brand new to Aquariums, my father in law gave his to me and set it up for me. Just wondering!

Thanks!

Welcome to the site!
I would post your question in the FW section.

Welcome aboard. As Scott said post your question in the FW section. More people will see it there.

Hello and welcome -- I am a newbie too and it took me a bit to understand how all this works -- The other posts were correct in telling you to post your problem in the Freshwater Forum - In case you don't know where that is (it took me a while to find it) Click on Forums it is located on the left about a quarter way down the page next to User CP and Articles - scroll down - past the saltwater forum until you reach the freshwater/brackish forums and post there --- You should also tell us what size tank you have and what equipment is running on it --- Welcome again :-D

Unlike saltwater a strong current isn't necessary for freshwater aquariums. Mostly you want enough current to move water around the aquarium so the filter(s) can turn the water over and filter out the suspended stuff. It also helps limit algae growth to some extent and helps move whatever makes it to the bottom around.

On my 30 I have the return from my canister filter and one powerhead attached to my UGF. With that some of my smaller FW fish struggle to get to the surface when trying to feed though they seem to like to hit the current and surf the wave. I have the powerhead pointed at the front glass and I never see any algae on the front or sides.

If it's too much, there are ways to offset it also. What size tank and what filters/powerheads do u have?

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to AA! Yes, do post in the freshwater section. People here are very responsive and helpful!

In the mean time... I also have a betta and I am using a sponge filter for tanks up to 10 gallon. The current was initially too strong, so I reduced the flow by putting a T-valvle on the airline tubing and adjusting the air flow.

Post in freshwater/getting started or general discussion threads and let us know what your setup is, tank size, type of filter, media, etc.

It sound like your tank is brand new, if so you may want to hold off on the angles and try to take the cherry barbs back to the LFS because you need to cycle your tank. If you don't know what this is go to the freshwater getting started forum and read the stickies at the top.
Cherry barbs can be vey aggresive and nippy, bettas don't usualy get alond with anyother fish that have long or bright fins, but not always you will just have to keep an eye on him.
You did not say what size tank you have but angles IMO need at least a 30 gallon tank, they can get big.

Thanks guys for the responses. I have a 42 gallon tank. Everything is doing well (thankfully). The current has slowed. I have 12 fish right now. We have the betta, 4 zebra danios, 2 cherry barbs, 2 small angelfish, 2 panda cats (too cute), and 1 other small bottom feeder. Delta Pet Store here in Slidell, LA has been great working with me. I check the chemicals, etc. and had to lower the ph. The betta and one of the cherry barbs kindof chase each other around but they look like they are playing. I enjoy this site. Steph

Just wanted to point out that it is usually better to let the ph alone to keep it stable. When you try to control the ph it tends to give you swings which is very stressful to the fish. that stress can make them more susceptible to disease and parasites which can then in turn lead to death.
I have zebra danios, corys, whitecloud minnows, scissor tail rasboras, and oto's with a ph of 7.8 and they are all just fine. I can't attest to how tolerable your other fish are to the higher ph but i'm sure someone else here can tell you from their experience.

bettas are not used to strong currents infact they are used to living in small puddles that have no current at all. They slow moving fish most of the time. The currents should not hurt them but they may not like it.
:band:

Back
Top Bottom