which fish to put in my aqurium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timberwolf55

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a 20 gallon aqurium(h-16" w-12" l-24") with an all glass 100w 115v-60hz heater, an aqua tech 5-15 power filter, with a gravel floor. What are some good freshwater plant and fish type. I want a fish that is'nt to demanding but more than goldfish or gupies. And if i do fishless sycling when would i plant my plants.

Hi timberwolf,

Congrats on the aquarium. First thing is first, the aqua tech 5-15 is only good for a 5 gal aquarium. I'd get something good for the 20-30 range.

Of course you could always run two filters, or depending on how much you want your water filtered, one would be fine (rare and select circumstances..)

You can put your plants in at any time, they greatly help with the cycling process.

Before we can recommend any plants, do you have a light bulb/lit hood?
-Well you can always add java moss, regardless. The cool plant is a beast and grows anywhere.

I'd say heavily plant your 20 gallon and go for some small micro schools with a center piece.

Maybe a pair of Apistogramma and 3 schools of micro rasboras like Chili Rasboras.

The downside of the apistos are you cant have shrimp, my favorite tankmates.

Shrmip keep a tank healthy running and rolling! They're so fun to watch and add character to a tank.

If you wanted to do a large colony of shrimp, I'd recommend either Ghost Shrimp or Red Cherry Shrimp. You could easily fit 50 of either in that tank.

There really are no centerpieces which will not eat shrimp that I can think of, so with shrimp you'd have to stick to schools.

I love rasboras, especially the plain 'triangle' rasbora you commonly find in pet stores. They school quite tightly and have great color.

I like natural looking tanks :)

thanks but i dont think i will have a apistogramma becouse i was looking them up online and it saidd it was a advanced fish to have. any other advise for a diffrent centerpiece

You could go with a species of gourami. There are loads to choose from. Honey, or dwarf gouramis would probably work for you. Dwarf Gouramis can be a bit more aggressive, and sometimes have health problems, due to bad breeding, but they are probably the most colourful. Honey gouramis are also nice. I have a pair of these and they are beautiful. Very peaceful and small (Only reaching a maximum size of 2.5 inches). You can keep a pair of these, but make sure that you get 1 male and 1 female. The male shouldn't harass the female.

I would say that IMO, gouramis are the safest option. Some nice shoaling fish are:

Cardinal tetras
Rummynose Tetras
Cherry Barbs
Neon Tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
Glowlight tetras
Danios - Leopards, zebras etc

Hope this helps :)

You can never filter to much :)

Imo tetras in a pack would be nice :)

Neon
Cardinal
Black Neon
And there is lots and lots of others :)

Have fun finding out which you like best!

thanks everyone for the advice but i decided to go with one dwarf gourami 5 pot belly molly's 5 Serbia Cory's and 5 rummy nose tetras

timberwolf55 said:
thanks everyone for the advice but i decided to go with one dwarf gourami 5 pot belly molly's 5 Serbia Cory's and 5 rummy nose tetras

I wouldn't put pot bellied mollies in as they have a lot of health problems and will probably quickly die

Back
Top Bottom