You would think being a veterinarian...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoFla94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone!!

You would think as a veterinarian I would know how to keep my fish alive...but not so much. To be honest, unless students took the aquatics courses and rotations (which I didn't since I "specialized" in other species) then out of the 4 years of veterinary school, maybe 2 days of lecture would be spent on fish. So, I'm here to learn!!

At our vet school graduation awards ceremony, my mom won a raffle. This entitled her to our table's center piece. Curiously enough, the center piece contained a betta fish! So, we took him on our 5 hour trip back home and Hilton (named after the hotel where the event was held) now lives in a 5 gallon tank. Since he was sort of an unplanned new addition to the family, his first living accomodations weren't ideal and I'm still trying to figure out how I never learned about cycling his new bigger tank until...well, tonight. Anyway, there are plenty of other things I haven't figured out, but I'll leave those questions to other threads.

One thing I do know about fish is that just as any other animal, their living space, if cared for properly, can be a large contributor to a great low-stress life. That's why a properly set up aquarium is essential. I'm trying to learn about this topic and this is a great community to learn from.

Thanks a lot!!

welcome. at least you can admit it. glad you are here to learn. ask away if you have any questions.

Slight detour: I am boggled that a vet school event had a live animal decoration, and that they gave a live animal as a "prize".

I would suggest also getting an ammonia detector or ammonia test strips. To begin with you will need to do a lot of partial watter changes to keep the levels down. But as good bacteria build up you will be able to do these less often.

p.s. show pictures of the fish :) ! Fish pictures always appreciated!

Welcome to AA! Check out the already started threads then ask away any questions you may have. We are here to help. And also congrats on your graduation!

Oh yeah you will learn a lot here.

I know from this and the other aquarium site I visit that I didn't know squat. Rushed into my first 20g tank and was lucky. My second tank was a 30g and I thought I did things right but am learning I was too impatient. I am not restoring a 20g tank a friend gave me and want to try to do this one right.

I'm getting crash courses in biology and chemistry. I didn't have good teachers for them in high school (20+ years ago). A tank is not like having a cat or a dog. The only real changes in the environment for land mammals is a comfy place to eat and sleep.... with fish you need to keep and eye on just about every aspect of their "life support system".

Back
Top Bottom