125 Gallon cleaning regiment advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pstergiou78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had a 125 gallon freshwater setup with angelfish, and wanted to get some feedback on my cleaning regiment.

Every two weeks clean the 3 marineland emporer 400 filters with tank water.

Every month clean the marineland C220 with tank water and replace charcoal.

Every month do a gravel vac with the aqueon water changer.

Weekly do a 15% water change and algae scrape.

I recently had a ammonia spike after installing all new filters in all 3 emporer 400 filters. Lesson learned and fixed with adding beneficial bacteria and two 50% water changes. I will now add beneficial bacteria after every cleaning them, and not changing all at once so I don't kill all the bacteria.

Advice welcome. Thanks [emoji4]

Hi, yes - I was going to suggest staggering the filter cleans just in case. Over time though the bacterial population should get stronger and just see how dirty the filters are getting. I have an internal filter to push water around and clean that every several weeks extremely well (it's mainly a mechanical filter so I don't care on bacteria) and then have two canister filters that I clean less often than I should.

I quickly looked up the filters and wasn't sure if you are getting good flow. If you get any muck/detritus accumulating in corners, may need a powerhead to push muck to filters.

Filters all sounds good though, mainly I would increase water changes to 20 to 30% weekly and also gravel vac weekly.

If algae is persistent week by week on glass, then I'd drop lighting to 6 hrs and then increase back up slowly.

I have a 150gal and do ~25% weekly (can't gravel vac much as planted). The internal filter is a fluval U4 which pushes water ~2ft before it starts to circle back. I've thought about putting a powerhead on other side but canister outlets are on that far side and I inject CO2 at either end of tank.

Last edited:
plants

That sounds great, I will stagger the cleaning. I am debating adding plants, as the tank had plants before, which I have moved to my smaller 46 gallon. The reason I moved the plans was because my huge red hook silver dollar, and his smaller silver dollar friends were eating the plants. I also have a very large pleco which was burrowing and taking up the plants. Do you have a recommendation of plants that the plecos and silver dollars are no interested in? Thanks much. :fish2:

That sounds great, I will stagger the cleaning. I am debating adding plants, as the tank had plants before, which I have moved to my smaller 46 gallon. The reason I moved the plans was because my huge red hook silver dollar, and his smaller silver dollar friends were eating the plants. I also have a very large pleco which was burrowing and taking up the plants. Do you have a recommendation of plants that the plecos and silver dollars are no interested in? Thanks much. :fish2:

Plastic???

Sadly no - maybe Java Fern but nothing off the top of my head.

Back
Top Bottom