220 Gallon Cichlid Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 10 x220 litre tanks and 2x 375 litre tanks, and a few more small ones on 100 year old wooden floor boards that are mounted on stump posts. The water alone weighs nealy 3000kg (6,600lbs) floor is sound and have had no problems. The weight is spread over the whole 11ft x 8ft (approx) room.

I think in most situations the weight issue is over thought to be honest, especially if the tank is near the wall which is the strongest part of the floor.

However you need to see how many joists are taking the weight and if the joists have enough support to transfer the weight down to the ground. If the weight is spead across a number of joists and the weight is distributed over a greater area you should be fine. If the floor flexes when filling the tank, that would signal that there isn't enough support. Tank placement in the strongest position is key.

We have one joist under the wall and 2 under the tank. The tank runs along with them. The are 2x8's 7"1/2. and there pine. I think the decking is 3/4.
Thanks for the reply's.

The optimal location is running perpendicular to the joists, rather than parallel... well, actually a slab is optimal. I do agree with mattrox though, it does become a little over thought...

Unless you're putting the tank upstairs, you most likely won't have any issues...

EDIT: just an after thought.. is your basement finished? You could always add a vertical beam, or a jack under the joists if you have the ability to... if it really concerns you

The optimal location is running perpendicular to the joists, rather than parallel... well, actually a slab is optimal. I do agree with mattrox though, it does become a little over thought...

Unless you're putting the tank upstairs, you most likely won't have any issues...

EDIT: just an after thought.. is your basement finished? You could always add a vertical beam, or a jack under the joists if you have the ability to... if it really concerns you

Yes rookie my beams are exposed. Just for safe measures I'm going to throw in a couple of joist to make sure. I think it may be good insurance.
2x8 don't hold to much of a load. If I would of had 2x12 I wouldn't worry about it. I wish there were running perpendicular then I'd be ok, but there not.

Really do appreciate your reply's.

Whats up guy's.

I got the 2x8's installed under my sub-floor today. There is a total of 5 of them under the floor. I'm pretty sure it will hold the tank now.

As you all know I wanted blue moon lights. I bought these led mini egg lights and recessed them into my hood light. The only thing I had to relocate was the power switch. I drilled hole in the white part of the fixture so that the lights would just stick through. I took some 3m marine caulking that I had in the garage to secure them. It's going to look awesome.
See Picture.

Filtration:
I setup the Fluval FX5's (X2) I put the intakes about a foot from each end. Then I put the outflow about 2' on both sides. I'm running these media choices :

Basket 1. Pre-filter ceramic rings and blue Pre-filter material.
Basket 2. I'm running carbon.
Basket 3. Biomax with a polishing pad.

I filled the cannisters with dechlorinated water and put Beneficial Bacteria in them etc.

That's about the whole day. It's slowly coming around. :cool::cool:

I bought some Eco Complete cichlid sand, It won't be here until Tuesday.

I'm still looking for a good background. I'm waiting for this guy in Oregon to get back with me.

Also looking for the right decor. I'm going to try some nursery's in the area for stone etc.

Attachments

• DSC00516.jpg
    DSC00516.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00517.jpg
    DSC00517.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC00522.jpg
    DSC00522.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00523.jpg
    DSC00523.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 117
Might want to think about adding a background to hide your wires and piping while the tank is still empty and you can get behind the tank. Just a thought. I regretted not putting one on my 30g before I filled it.

+1 to adding a background before you fill the tank. Much easier, IME.

Might want to think about adding a background to hide your wires and piping while the tank is still empty and you can get behind the tank. Just a thought. I regretted not putting one on my 30g before I filled it.
My first 55g came with a background when I bought it used. After a while I decided I really hated it, it was drab and boring. So I got a new one, but by then I had a fully stocked tank.
I then proceeded to put the new 48"L x 20"H background while the tank was 7" from the wall. I wouldn't recommend it, I not sure you could even do it on a tank as large as yours.
I'd listen to meegosh. When I bought my second 55g tank I put the background on before I put the tank on the stand, what a difference.
I had to replace the first one a couple times because it would keep falling off because of bubbles. No problems with the one done the right way.

BACK GROUND

I have been waiting for this company in Oregon to call me back.
I am really stuck on these back grounds. I know rookie don't spend that kind of money on a background. lol

I really think that it will give the tank dimension. Check the links below.
It also comes in a gray.

I'm not going to fill the tank until the sand comes in and all the plumbing is installed.

I need to run in some aeration. I'm still thinking about what to run. I could use help on this too. I would like to attach the air lines to the floor under the substrate.. Maybe using silicone to secure them. It's a really long reach to the bottom of the tank, it's 30". Messing with plumbing while filled also would be killer on my old body. LOL

How many stones etc ?

What size pump etc ?

Designs By Nature – Aquarium

BJ881 Ledge
Available in these sizes : (L) 48″,63″,79″ X (H) 24″ , thickest part is about 6″. Total piece averages around 3-4″ thick.
This background would make the ultimate show tank and is perfect for larger tanks.
A great rock wall with an awesome ledge, a very cool piece used right side up or up side down. It just depends on if you want to use a ledge or an overhang.

THANK YOU: Meegosh, Mandy, Rookie for the replies.

Attachments

• ledge.jpg
    ledge.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Dude, I wouldn't waste money on air pumps, stones, tubing, etc either. Those filter you have will provide PLENTY of surface agitation. Bubbles just make a tank look fake IMHO.

Dude, I wouldn't waste money on air pumps, stones, tubing, etc either. Those filter you have will provide PLENTY of surface agitation. Bubbles just make a tank look fake IMHO.

That's cool, Because I hate running that tubing. :cool:

I was looking at those backgrounds too, but I have a reef ready tank which is 30" deep but the ledge background only goes up to 24". What are the dimensions of the 220?

I'll second the suggestion to paint the back of the tank black. I did it to my 40B and now I wish I'd done it to my other tanks.

I was looking at those backgrounds too, but I have a reef ready tank which is 30" deep but the ledge background only goes up to 24". What are the dimensions of the 220?

They go up to 30" you just have to call Matt

He told me that they have all different sizes.

Mine is 72 x 28 1/2

I'll second the suggestion to paint the back of the tank black. I did it to my 40B and now I wish I'd done it to my other tanks.

Would you paint even thou I'm going with the 3D Back Ground.

BACK GROUND

I have been waiting for this company in Oregon to call me back.
I am really stuck on these back grounds. I know rookie don't spend that kind of money on a background. lol

I really think that it will give the tank dimension. Check the links below.
It also comes in a gray.

I'm not going to fill the tank until the sand comes in and all the plumbing is installed.

I need to run in some aeration. I'm still thinking about what to run. I could use help on this too. I would like to attach the air lines to the floor under the substrate.. Maybe using silicone to secure them. It's a really long reach to the bottom of the tank, it's 30". Messing with plumbing while filled also would be killer on my old body. LOL

How many stones etc ?

What size pump etc ?

Designs By Nature – Aquarium

BJ881 Ledge
Available in these sizes : (L) 48″,63″,79″ X (H) 24″ , thickest part is about 6″. Total piece averages around 3-4″ thick.
This background would make the ultimate show tank and is perfect for larger tanks.
A great rock wall with an awesome ledge, a very cool piece used right side up or up side down. It just depends on if you want to use a ledge or an overhang.

THANK YOU: Meegosh, Mandy, Rookie for the replies.
Hi hdultra,
I live in Oregon, I may have better luck getting a hold of them.
Who are they and what is it you need to know? If they are nearby I
could go see in person and let you know.
I don't mind looking into it for you.
Let me know.

I DON'T KNOW IF THEY ARE CLOSE TO YOU . I THINK THEY ARE LOCATED IN EUGENE, OR
MATT JUST DOES NOT REPLY QUICKLY. HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO SEND ME PHOTO'S BUT I HAVE NOT SEEN THEM YET.

I'M READY TO ORDER SO THAT I CAN GET THE BACKGROUND HERE. SO I CAN CONTINUE BUILDING.
RIGHT NOW I'M IN A STAND STILL WAITING. I'M ABOUT TO TAKE ROOKIE AND JIM'S ADVISE, AND JUST PAINT IT BLACK. I THINK THE EFFECT WOULD BE AWESOME IF I COULD JUST GET IT HERE. LOL

THANKS WENDI

HIS NUMBER IS:
Call Matt @ 541-579-0179

Hi Hdultra,
I usually always go with black backgrounds for my tank. It looks nice and lets the fish and plants stand out. However, if you want to go with a really awesome showy tank I would so go with the 3D background!! I think it will look amazing... really gives that extra wow factor. Quite the natural affect, too. Hopefully you can get it so that your plans don't have to be delayed further. Just wanted to add my opnion and say go for it with the background! Totally support it.

As for the bubbles, I personally think they are a major hassle with all the tubing, but look really nice. However, it wouldn't be a huge deal if you decided not to get them. There are lots of other elements to this tank that can continue to bring the wow factor.

Good luck! Hope things continue to go well :)
Anxious to see this develop!!!

Back
Top Bottom