Anyone familiar with this Japanese light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got this LED light as a birthday gift. It cost about $60, they said. I don't know anything about LEDs, let alone this brand of light, and was wondering if it is a good brand. A google search didn't find any information on this particular light, but apparently there are some other Aqua Japan products out there.

I have a ten gallon tank and a 20 gallon long tank. Would this light be decent to put on one of those to grow some plants? (I just want something easy like dwarf sags and maybe crypts.)

I turned it on, and it seems to work pretty well. Very bright. It has a very flexible gooseneck. Only problem is that it is apparently made for rimless tanks, and mine have plastic rims/frames.

Attachments

• DSCF8594.jpg
    DSCF8594.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF8597.jpg
    DSCF8597.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 89
It would probably put you into the Low Light spectrum. It is possible to de-rim your tank ... But it might be easier to sell it and use the hood that came with the tank. I haven't derimmed, but club members have. No guarantees from me.

I use two small u shaped screw in CFLs for my shrimp 10g. It grows plenty of plants. DHG is not an easy plant. You probably can't grow it without better lighting and CO2.

If you want to keep it , you might try adapting it or cut out a small piece of frame. I use an LED fixture on my other 10g. It works fine.

Mine have black sand.
Two 6,500K CFLs
Basic HOB filter
Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and
Seachem Excel 1x weekly after PWCs.
DIY Root Caps as needed.

It would probably put you into the Low Light spectrum. It is possible to de-rim your tank ... But it might be easier to sell it and use the hood that came with the tank. I haven't derimmed, but club members have. No guarantees from me.

I use two small u shaped screw in CFLs for my shrimp 10g. It grows plenty of plants. DHG is not an easy plant. You probably can't grow it without better lighting and CO2.

If you want to keep it , you might try adapting it or cut out a small piece of frame. I use an LED fixture on my other 10g. It works fine.

Mine have black sand.
Two 6,500K CFLs
Basic HOB filter
Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and
Seachem Excel 1x weekly after PWCs.
DIY Root Caps as needed.

Neither of my tanks came with hoods, so I need to invest in light fixtures.

What exactly is a cfl? Do you mean the regular twisty bulbs that you use in lamps and ceiling lights? If so, I have a 9 watt twisty bulb in a clamp lamp over my 2.5 gallon shrimp tank now and the java moss in it grows well. (As you can probably tell, I don't know anything about lights...)

I got this LED light as a birthday gift. It cost about $60, they said. I don't know anything about LEDs, let alone this brand of light, and was wondering if it is a good brand. A google search didn't find any information on this particular light, but apparently there are some other Aqua Japan products out there.

I have a ten gallon tank and a 20 gallon long tank. Would this light be decent to put on one of those to grow some plants? (I just want something easy like dwarf sags and maybe crypts.)

I turned it on, and it seems to work pretty well. Very bright. It has a very flexible gooseneck. Only problem is that it is apparently made for rimless tanks, and mine have plastic rims/frames.

I use one of the smaller ones by this company on my 10G endler tank. It works well for low light plants.

Thanks, good to hear it's not a bad brand. But the problem is that the clamp on it wouldn't fit a tank with a rim, and I didn't want to cut my tank rim, so I returned it to the store. I now have $60 to work with to get a light. I think I'd rather just get a fluorescent one, since I know a little bit about them now. Recommendations would be appreciated. :)
At the store earlier, the owner offered me a T5 coral life 24 inch fixture with bulbs for $65. He said it would extend to fit my 20 long and the bulbs are 14 watts each, which sounded good. I almost took it, but I don't want to buy anything without research first.

Thanks, good to hear it's not a bad brand. But the problem is that the clamp on it wouldn't fit a tank with a rim, and I didn't want to cut my tank rim, so I returned it to the store. I now have $60 to work with to get a light. I think I'd rather just get a fluorescent one, since I know a little bit about them now. Recommendations would be appreciated. :)
At the store earlier, the owner offered me a T5 coral life 24 inch fixture with bulbs for $65. He said it would extend to fit my 20 long and the bulbs are 14 watts each, which sounded good. I almost took it, but I don't want to buy anything without research first.

Look into the "Marina single bright and double bright lights" Really affordable for an LED set up.

LED will really bay for itself with the lack of bulb changes every year

Back
Top Bottom