Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aqueon Heaters

Is anyone using the new Aqueon Pro heaters? I have always used Marineland Visi Therm's, I started using the Stealth Pro's until the problems started with them so I traded them all in. Anyway the Aqueons seem to be the same principal. Aluminum core,resin and plastic case. If anyone is using them I would be interested in knowing the pros and cons, and how accurate they seem to be.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tagging thread to watch. I had a marineland from lfs for a new cycling 10 gal. Stat stuck overnight and temp got up to high 80s. Luckily no fish yet. Lfs replaced it, but new one just went in Friday. Aq is at my office so I can't check again until mon.

Weird part is that my heater was NOT one of the models on the recall list. That makes me nervous.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have three tanks and two of them have the Aqueon Pro's in them. So far I have had no issues with them. They are accurate and keep a constant temp. I like the fact that they are shatter proof and I like the lighting. I can look and see quite easily when they are heating and when they are idle. I plan on getting one for the third one that has a regular glass one in it.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm running an Aqueon Pro and haven't had any problems with it it either. Keeps a stable temperature, is easy to adjust the temperature, and looks pretty sleek in the tank.
fouldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have 8 tanks and run the aqueons in 6 of them. No problems so far and they seem pretty accurate.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great news. I bought an Aqueon Pro today and also a Sera brand. I did some research on the Sera and it sounds like a pretty decent heater. I am trying both of them in a couple of tanks that I can afford to loose if something goes wrong. Thanks for the replies on the Aqueon, I think that is the one I am going with for my tanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

After running both heaters for a few days(Aqueon, and Sera brand) I can't recommend the Sera brand. I had to set the temp control at 84 to get the tank up to 77. the Aqueon is set at 78 and the tank is 78. Aqueon is the better heater in my opinion. Now if I could buy them in bulk, at a discounted price that would be great.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Getting ready to return my SECOND marineland visitherm for the same problem as the other. It will hold 80 rock steady for several hours, and then pop back on unexpectedly and stay on til upwards of 84 to 85. Very inconsistent operation. Hoping lfs has access to aqueon pros as your experience sounds more promising.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Stability is important, not what the thermostat reads vs what the thermometer reads.... My aqueon pro has to be set at 74, but it keeps the water at 78, perfectly stable. Definitely an accurate heater.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Absolutely stability is the most important factor. My concern with the Sera heater being set that high is, if it decides to actually heat to that temp It could turn out bad. I spend too much money on experiments But you don't know until you try new products. As far as Marineland Visi Therm heaters, I usrd them for years and they were a very good reliable heater. The last few that I tried have been JUNK. Either won't come on at set temp, won't shut off at set temp, or leak water inside the heater

Tags
aqueon, eat, eater, heaters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com