Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Bad day - Broken Light

One of my EBay LED fixtures broke today. The white LEDS won't turn on anymore. I guess that's kinda what I get for buying them used or maybe just a cheap fixture in general.

Does anyone know if these things are fixable? Or even worth it? Can I just replace the LED panel? The power supply still appears to work as the power switch lights up and the fans turn on.

I'm still out of work from an injury so this hits hard..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I had an LED do the same perhaps where part of it worked. I was told that I could probably buy replacement LED bulbs(?) and re-solder. It sounded like one of those jobs that is a pain to do the first time and after that makes sense.

I wanted to replace the lights anyways so never went further with fixing.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with you. It sounds like much more trouble then I want to go through. I am concerned now about the one light being able to sustain my corals in the meantime. But it is tax season and I will also hopefully go back to work soon.

I think I'm gonna buy a new set...whether that is another set off eBay or a name brand I still have to figure out.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you have some basic electronic knowledge and soldering skills , then you may be able to repair the light fixture . If not then you will be better off time and money wise to get another light fixture . Just my 2 cents , wish you the best either way .
Old 02-07-2016, 11:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That's what I'm worried about. I don't have any knowledge of electronics components..I'm soldered before but it was only putting tiny power supplies together.

So are you guys saying pop off the white LEDs and replace them with new ones?

Old 02-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It really depends on how they are constructed and what the problem is. If they are daisy chained together than any single LED failing could potentially take out the whole line of them much like christmas lights. If it's a problem with a single LED it could be bypassed. If it's a problem elsewhere then it's a whole different animal. Bottom line, it's already broken... What worse could happen by attempting to fix it?
Old 02-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That is a good point.

Here's some pictures if you guys know more then I do then I'd appreciate your input as to what I'm looking at..

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454973980.165519.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	284651Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454973995.433138.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	284652Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454974011.249794.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	284653

As stated above I believe the power supply works..sense the power switch glows orange when the unit is plugged in and the switch is flipped. Then when turning the white side dimmer on from zero it clicks and the fans kick on but no white lights. Judging from all the leads coming from the power supply I don't see what could be missing to stop these LEDs from working.

To test I unplugged the LED panel..both white and blues and then connected the white side LEDS to the power supply for the blue side and still nothing kicked in. This is leading me to believe that like you guys said an LED went out and took out the whole Christmas tree.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454974327.755933.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	284654

Just by looks this LED is noticeably different from the rest. I have no idea if this matters or not. To me it looks like a blown "bulb"??

Old 02-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ok. Scratch the different looking led off the list. It's a blue LED...and it works lol..

Old 02-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Bad day - Broken Light

I found this video on YouTube of at least how to change/replace LEDs in this unit. Although it doesn't say how to single out a non-working LED. I can totally do this but I would definitely like to try and figure out exactly which led doesn't work. Who knows maybe I can replace some LEDs with some reds or Violet's to fill up the spectrum.

http://youtu.be/Mwfv1LvVw0w

Old 02-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Assuming the power rating is the same on both of the drivers try hooking the blue driver up to the white lights. That will tell you if the problem is with the driver or the bulbs.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com