Black Diamond blasting sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
This stuff looks cool, and cheap. But the package says "recycled product". Is it safe? What if there is some trace of whatever it was used to sandblast?
Anyone?
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that is actually recovered and sized asphalt millings. I wouldn't trust it in an aquarium.

Oh, ok. Thanks. I had read that some folks on here have used it in their tanks, so I thought I'd check it out. Better safe than sorry. :(

Its perfectly fine

Attachments

• image-1665562499.jpg
    image-1665562499.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 335
I have been using this product in my 26 galllon bow front for a while, stock is 3 theadfin rainbows and a variety of fw shrimp, no I'll effects to report so far

so after looking around on the internet for it i realized that it said on the bag it is made in Woodbury, Mn which is like 10 min away from my house. needless to say i went over there and talked to the owner for a bit about using it in a fish tank. he seemed very interested that people were using it for fish tanks. i picked up a 80 pound bag and plan on putting it in tonight. ill let you know what it looks like. ooh and i got the larger grit that they dont sell in the stores which is pretty sweet.

does anyone have any experiance with using it in a saltwater setup? i think im going to stick with it in the fresh for now but i was wondering if the salt would cause the carbon to break down and cause problems?

I could see this maybe being a lighting issue if it was used in anything other than a fowlr because it would absorb the light instead of reflecting it all around in the tank providing corals w extra light

I have Black Diamond 20/40 in all 13 of my tanks, ranging from 10-125 gallons, never had any problems and the fish love it!! Just make sure to wash it out REALLY good, until the water runs clear. Tractor Supply Co. sells it for $6.99 per 50# bag :)

savage said:
'Black Diamond' media blasting material...???

I'm craving some black substrate, and this thread motivated me. I found this thread and thought I'd post it. It too has arguments for and against this stuff.

And that is a sweet looking catfish up there!

Wow, that made me think a bit. I'm not sure I want to risk abrasions on my fish. Glad you posted this. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom