Can you hang a Protein Skimmer on sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyingfish 2626

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was in the market for a Protein skimmer in the under $200 range and was looking at the Bak-Pak 2R. I am currently running a wet dry and my pump takes up too much space in the sump. I really dont want to look at a back hanging skimmer in the tank. Can I hook up the Bak-Pak to be outside of the sump container and not inside of the actual fish tank. Can anyone suggest another model besides the Bak-Pak 2R for under $200. Thanks for your help.

I don't see why not. I don't have a skimmer, but the general rule for skimmers is you get what you pay for.....
You may want to post tank/sump size so the skimmer gurus can better assist.

I used to have a skilter HOB a long time ago. Make no mistake that this skimmer is not the best or close to it. It is resonably cheap and will do a decent job of skimming and filtering your SW. Also moving this to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

Last edited:
Relocating a skimmer to your sump is fine, but be sure to put in a bubble trap within a baffle to eliminate bubbles in the main :)

I have my Aquamedic turboflotor multi hanging off of the back of my sump out the back of the stand. It gave me more space in my sump with a 46bow there isn't a lot of space. I paid $195 for my skimmer it does a good job It took a while to get if working to my liking though.

Back
Top Bottom