Cannister and heater decision help please!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Baron

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, 2 part help/advice needed.

1) Cannister decision--new 55 not yet setup. Will have corys, rummy noses, emperors and a couple of GBR.

Cant decide between the Rena XP3, or Marineland C220 or maybe C360 if I can find it for a good price.

Is the C220 big enough?

Which is quieter, the C220 or the XP3?

Which would you go for?

OK now for the heater question. Still for the same 55 standard size tank.

I like the idea of 2 heaters. Remember, GBR will be there so it will be warm.

Can I use 2 100 watts or would 2 150 watts be better. I dont think I would need 2 200 watts would I?

FYI, I am thinking I will go with the Visitherm Deluxe model. Just based on reading reviews about it. Was originally thinking Jager, but quality has come into question since Eheim bought them.

Lets see lots of replies.

Thanks,

Dan

You're not really going to get a consistent answer, since opinions vary. But, here's my opinion. Go with either a rena xp3 or a fluval 405. I love my fluvals, I have both a 305 and a 405 on my 150, along with an eheim 2224. All three are great filters, but if i hadnt got the eheim free off craigslist, I wouldnt have bought one since they're so expensive. For the heaters, I would highly recommend instead of getting a visitherm, to get a stealth pro. The visitherm delux is glass, where the stealth pro is composite. the stealth pro also has a green light when it's not heating, a red light when it is, so you always know what it's doing. If you want two heaters, get two 150w heaters. That way if one fails, the 150w will still keep the temperature from dropping way fast. BTW, thats JMO :)

Thanks mfdrookie516.

I have been looking at the Fluvals as well.

Any other opinions?

Dan

No experience with cannisters, but I can offer some heater advice. Get two smaller heaters. I've never had a heater stop heating. IME, it's been the thermostat that fails and the heater makes a valiant attempt to cook my fish. If you use two smaller heaters and one runs away, hopefully the other shuts off and the tank won't heat up nearly as fast, giving you more time to catch it. If you want to go fancy, look at heater controllers.

Canister Filters will can become Nitrate nightmares unless they are cleaned weekly which can be a pain. Took mine out, no longer use it

If you have a larger canister than "required" it doesn't clog as quickly.
I notice the flow rate slow, then I know the sponged need a squeeze.
I run fluvals too.

Back
Top Bottom