canopy how high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I am building a canopy for my tank. The led fixture is hung from above. I have egg crate to keep fish from.jumping

How high do I need to make the back of the canopy to keep fish in?
I need it to clear my led fixture so I can slide it off to do water changes and what not.

The front and sides are 12" high

Ok I am building a canopy for my tank. The led fixture is hung from above. I have egg crate to keep fish from.jumping

How high do I need to make the back of the canopy to keep fish in?
I need it to clear my led fixture so I can slide it off to do water changes and what not.

The front and sides are 12" high

Honestly thats your call, I just made one with my buddy for my 27 gallon cube. It measures 20x18,I made it a little bigger so it would sit on the tank, I added "blocks" so it can rest up high and clear my light. Check out my plant thread for pics if you want.

I don't think egg crate is a good idea

You need cover glasses or condensation trays as the heat will rise making the top get messy and scale all over it

You will also lose a lot of heat

Instead of glass maybe a screen? Sorry can't be more help I don't use lids on my tank just wooden canopies. I don't like glass tops as they get dirty fast and block some light.

I am removing the egg crate. I am Making a wooden canopy the front and sides are 12" off the top of the tank. I have not made the back yet because I want to be able to pull the canopy off without having to move my light which is hanging over it.

I'm just wondering what the minimum height should be.to keep the fish from jumping out
I have firefish, Clowns, chromis and planning watchman goby and six line wrasse.

Instead of glass maybe a screen? Sorry can't be more help I don't use lids on my tank just wooden canopies. I don't like glass tops as they get dirty fast and block some light.

Exactly my point if you don't have the cover glasses as that mess that builds up on them goes all around the room

They don't have to be glass they can be cut from acrylic

It's even worse with a salt water tank have you seen the mess salt makes to a room

Exactly my point if you don't have the cover glasses as that mess that builds up on them goes all around the room

They don't have to be glass they can be cut from acrylic

It's even worse with a salt water tank have you seen the mess salt makes to a room

Very true... Salt is the worst!!

Well just lay the cheap plastic condensation try's on top of the egg crate it takes 2 mins to clean them

Back
Top Bottom