Check Valve Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betowess

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK. I have a ten lb. CO2 tank with a Milwaukee all in one regulator running to a DIY Reactor which is inline with the outflow from an XP2. When I need to put some more water in the bubble counter, I have to lift up and set the CO2 tank about two feet off the ground, of course turning off the XP2, and hold the CO2 airline up high to avoid a reverse siphon happening. By this, I mean water coming from the reactor through the airline which is attached to the top of the bubble counter that I have just unscrewed.

Needless to say, this is a PITA. Should I just order a little check valve to pop in the middle of the CO2 airline to eliminate all this hassle? I have never used a "check valve". Mucho TIA Bob

Yes! They work great, even after water tries to backflow through them. I would not have an airline tube without one.

You have to get a check valve. It will make you life much easier!

When looking for a check valve, I would be sure that the valve is a CO2 resistant check valve. CO2 can degrade the non CO2 resistant valves after time. For your application, if your check valve is not made of CO2 resistant materials, well, it won't be a check valve very long! :wink:

Mike

I assemble my own regulators with Clippard needle valves. Clippard makes a great little brass check valve that I use on all my systems.

Any check valve that has a stainless steel spring and ball with Viton seals will be good for CO2 applications and can be found for less than $10.00 usually.

Back
Top Bottom