Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Childproofing your aquarium?

Have you guys ever tried to childproof your tanks?

I can tell one (of many) curious little story of how my little cousin, 6yr old at the time, was at my house. He sneaked out of sight for two minutes and I found him watching my tank as a million flakes go through the water like snowflakes. He managed to CLIMB the tank stand and dump the entire flakes can in my tank!

I have managed to keep him away from it ever since, but I was wondering what if one of these days... so have any of you somehow put a lock on your lid, reinforced your stand, etc. to successfully keep children from wreaking havoc on your aquarium biology?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

tell him the boogyman will get him if he goes near it ROFL

seriously though,why dont you just hide the food?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I lock the door going to the basement... problem solved

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #4

Its not in the basement and the boogyman will only encourage him. And by the way I had the food hidden. This boy is relentless.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #5

Anybody with ideas?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vialznk
Have you guys ever tried to childproof your tanks?

I can tell one (of many) curious little story of how my little cousin, 6yr old at the time, was at my house. He sneaked out of sight for two minutes and I found him watching my tank as a million flakes go through the water like snowflakes. He managed to CLIMB the tank stand and dump the entire flakes can in my tank!

I have managed to keep him away from it ever since, but I was wondering what if one of these days... so have any of you somehow put a lock on your lid, reinforced your stand, etc. to successfully keep children from wreaking havoc on your aquarium biology?
honestly, a 6 year old is old enough to know better, and if not it should only take 1 incident to find out.

If a child has special needs or something I would understand the need for childproofing but otherwise it's something that parents should deal with.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #7

Okay, let me clarify: this incident was at least five years ago, so he is old enough, and lost most of that manic energy, to know better. But the kid isn't the point. I know parents should look after the kids etc. I was just wondering if anyone has ever modified their tanks, stands, or lids on the tank or something.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My sons 20 months old and aside from handprints, he constantly tries to open the doors and play in the sump. A firm "No Sir!" goes a long way with him.

As for childproofing? Maybe an electric fence? lol
Old 07-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I have a three year old who likes to mess with my aquarium stuff, wrecked an air pump, ran off with other stuff. He was in a phase that it didn't matter what you said or did he did what he wanted. I put a cupboard door child lock on the cabinet doors, problem solved. Now he has passed that phase and leaves that stuff alone.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would love to say I had the answer but I think you have all hit the common point... unless each door or drawer is locked and your hood is secure there is no way of childproofing an aquarium! I do like the idea of the electric fence though, I'm sure we could work on that! My tank hood is 5ft high and weighs around 15lbs so I think it will be a while before my 2 year old causes me too much grief! Good luck in the search for your solution!

Tags
chi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com