Eclipse 2 light broken, need replacement!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusalka

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My eclipse 2 system light broke. At first, one of the bulbs stopped working properly, then I noticed the power adapter had a crack, and recently I found it overheated and smelled burned (the crack appeared from overheating, apparently).
Marineland customer service offered me to send a LED light replacement and a penguin filter, I no way want these again – I just upgraded from them two months ago! Eclipse 2 is discontinued, this is the reason.

But I like its design so much, and the filter works perfectly!

I studied lighting options by marineland – their replacement fluorescent lights... all of similar size ones have only one 18" 15Watt light bulb, and Eclipse 2 has 2 of them. If even I could persuade marineland customer service to send me one of their fluorescent lighting fixtures, it's still two times less light.

The question is, if somebody had similar problem, how you solved it?
Is there a way to integrate two 18" lamps into Eclipse 2 hood (with a help of electrician or somebody knowledgeable) and some new base and cord?

Before there was for purchase Lamp Base Assembly, which gives the front portion with the starter button, ballast, and all other electrical components for the light (item number PR3033), but no more.
I'm really puzzled what I can ask as a replacement, or should I return the hood altogether. But I want to keep it so much!

Eclipse 2 Light Assembly

I agree the Eclipse System is great. But they are discontinued.
I have an Eclipse 1 System that I retro-fit the twin light assembly from an Eclipse 2 to have twin lamps instead of 1 lamp.
It is working fine, but the light assembly is not working properly. Only one lamp goes on each morning and I have to manually "fiddle" with the second bulb to get it to go on.
I have been searching for an Eclipse2 Light Assembly replacement part for months and cannot find one.
Here's what I have done. I bought an 18" Skkye Light LED single light strip and brackets to retro-fit the new LED light in the Eclipse Hood. The light was $100. plus the cost of the brackets. It is a softer glow, but a better light spectrum for my planted tank. Worth the $100. even though the entire Hood cost less than the light. I like that nothing hangs off the tank and all is contained in the Hood out of sight.
Best, J

Thanks for sharing your experience!
What brand LED light did you buy? Did it fit inside the protective bulb cover of Eclipse 2, or your LED light has a cover of its own?

Marineland customer service sent me as a replacement a LED aquatic plant lighting system, glass canopy and a hanging filter. I haven't received them yet.
And I kept my broken Eclipse 2 as well. I'll see if I would want to integrate the LED light in it. Where did you buy the brackets?

Eclipse 2 Light Assembly

Hi,
The Brand name is "Skkye Light" 10K LED Single Strip light. (The two "K"s are correct in the spelling of this brand.) It has it's own housing, wire and plug. All you have to do is to remove the entire light assembly from the hood and this 18" model fits on the black plastic cover. The Brackets have to be ordered separately from the light fixture, but they are made by the same company for this light to be mounted on the movable panel where the original light assembly was. Here is the link to the company.

Innovative Marine

thanks,
J

I want to add to the discussion, I just found a very interesting "do it yourself" course, how to retrofit Eclipse 2 with new luminescent fixture.

Retrofitting Eclipse 2 Hood With 55w PC | DIY - Do It Yourself | 7929

Although for me it sounds a bit too complicated, due too my limited technical English and that I'm not a very technical person, but somebody may find it useful.
I just don't understand, what fixture did the guy used for his project. He doesn't mention it, or I don't see it...

Back
Top Bottom