Filling Up My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your going to add shrimp don't add medicine to the tank shrimp are very sensitive to medications. Pick up a qt tank and add a pice of LR from your cycled tank and some filter media from an established tank and treat in the qt.

At this point I'm not adding any livestock to this tank. My two Chromis seem okay, but one of my clowns is probably dead with the second on its way out.

For a small QT what do you use for filtration and water flow?

Are you using a hob filter for your main tank? If not a cheap power head is fine. The aqua clear hob filters are cheap but reliable aswell

Yes, my display tank is using a HOB Penguin or Emperor. I think it is a 350 or 400. I have two Hydro Evolution power heads. One is a 750/850 and one is a 1050/1150 gph.

I would take the filter from your main tank and put it on the qt that should allow you to put your fish in right away and start treating. Put all the fish in even if they look fine and treat for the ich. Check for ammonia and nitrite daily and do wc's as needed in the qt

Oh sorry so what I would do is leave the tank empty(of fish) for 8 weeks and I would turn the temp up to like 85. The increased temp won't hurt your bio filter

Saltwater ick isn't like freshwater. The statements made about temp raising and such don't do anything on the salty side of things. You will want a copper based mad to treat in your QT tank. This will be a long process and you will need to leave your display fallow for the 8 week life cycle to ensure there still isn't any living in your sandbed.

I use copper power. But there are many if you do use a copper based treatment no inverts can go in the tank and nothing from this tank ( fish excluded) can go in your dt

So it looks like my other clown is about to die. This leaves me with two Chromis and two snails.

I took my live rock out of the DT to put in big gray tub filled with SW. I put my snails in there too. I don't have my QT setup yet, so I had to leave remaining fish in DT until later today(Saturday).

Yep, just leave the big tank alone and move the fish only to the qt. DO NOT add any live rock to the qt if you are going to treat with copper, it will make the rock unuseable in the future if you do. Just a large pvc pipe so the fish can hide in there and the filter and heater. All you need.

The treatment I bought said not safe for invertebrates or live rock. Says it will stain silicon too. Rethinking using this product.

ive used copper power before in the presence of silicone tubing, it def stains it a blue color, although i dont remember it staining the actual silicone seals.

So I have my 20 gal QT put together. I filled it with new SW today. Temp is fine, but how long do I need to wait to put in my fish which need to be treated?

get the temp and sg as close as possible between QT and DT, then you should be good to go. if not, you can always acclimate them to the QT

Back
Top Bottom