Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2003, 05:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Thaiboxer
Filtration Question

I ran a related thread a few days ago, but have one follow up. I'm moving from a 55 gallon to a 125 gallon, and I'm pretty clear on everything except:

Is 700 gallons per hour (2 magnum 350's) enough filtration for a 125 gallon with:
3-4 south american cichlids
1 pleco
1 red-tailed shark (he's sneaky...)

I really like canisters more than hang-on filters... thanks for your advice!

Old 12-22-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That would leave you with a 5.6x turnover, which is a little on the lower side for water movement. Once you get everything setup, you might want to add a power head to the tank to clear up any dead spots of water circulation. Dead spots can end up as algae problems pretty easily and decrease water quality. You should be OK though, that is not many fish at all for a 125.

Do you plan on adding more fish to the tank soon? Something like a Aquaclear 500 would help a lot when you start filling up the tank, and get you up to a 9.6x turnover rate. An Aquaclear 500 or other strong HOB filter might not cost much more than a good power head depending on where you order. Having a HOB filter gives you an easy way to add carbon to the tank and stuff if you need to.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 10:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thaiboxer, I read your other thread so I know what is going on. I would also advise on HOB such as Emperor 400 - very good, silent, and low-profile filter that is barely seen behind your light strip. it is very quiet and powerful and has 2 bio-wheels, 2 huge cartridges and 2 media baskets. Bigalsonline will sell you one for $39. It is cheaper than anywhere. Of course if you do not like HOB then no advise on one will convince you to get it.
- 2 Otocinclus Cats.
- 3 Spotted Corys (Corydoras agassizi)
- 4 Clown Loaches
- 2 Rosy Barbs
captainGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I guess my biggest beef with the HOB filter is having it stick out. If it's low profile and hides behind the lights, I guess I could deal with it. I've always wondered, also, about water movement left to right. With an HOB, isn't the intake right by the return?

Hopefully that makes sense... does an HOB agitate the water enough? I guess I always figured they're just sucking up the same water they just spit out. Maybe I'm silly on this, but that's just how it looks

I looked at the Emporers and they seem VERY reasonable. I'll also check prices on the Aquaclear 500, it sounds like overkill - whick I like

I will probably add 1-2 more SA cichlids after the tank move.

Would a silver arrowana survive in this tank? I think they're super cool.

Thank you again!
Old 12-23-2003, 12:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm with you on this too Thai boxer. I've got bio wheels on most of my tanks and they do anexcellent job. But I prefer the low profile of the cannisters. The knock on the cannisters is in ease of cleaning. IMO you are fine with another cannister. Let me suggest the Fluval 404. It's a snap to clean.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

"I guess my biggest beef with the HOB filter is having it stick out. If it's low profile and hides behind the lights, I guess I could deal with it."

The Aquaclears have a very low profile. I can not see mine at all behind the strip lights on either of my tanks. They rise about one inch about the top rim of the tank. The Bio Wheel filters can be pretty noticable with the wheel sticking up and everything. Depending on how the tank is setup, this may or may not be an issue.

"I've always wondered, also, about water movement left to right. With an HOB, isn't the intake right by the return?

Hopefully that makes sense... does an HOB agitate the water enough? I guess I always figured they're just sucking up the same water they just spit out. Maybe I'm silly on this, but that's just how it looks"

The water goes down and out of the power filters, not just down right by the intake tube. Water from my HOBs makes it to the front glass of the tanks and then flows around from there. You do not have to worry about not mixing up the surface enough, or not moving around enough water.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 02:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I checked pricing on Big Als, and the Aquaclear is very reasonable. I'll probably run my current Magnum 350 and get an Aquaclear 500, that'd give me the whole aquarium moving through the filter 6.8 times per hour - realistically a little more because of the volume displaced by rocks, gravel, etc.

Thanks for your advice on this!
Old 12-23-2003, 02:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

once i got the xp3 and emp. 400 on the 55, i have never seen my tank so clear... with that xp3 i have some diff. material that has really made improvements... xp3's would be a good decision for that tank also.

30 Gallon Tang. Cube
Xp2
Yellow Cavlus and front friends.
christerrell2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 03:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

As far as Emperor, you cannot see it behind the light. As far as I know, the Aquaclear does not have bio-wheels. Emperor adds this huge benefit, but of course you have the canister for that. Emperor also comes with long intake extension that you will use to lower the intake all the way down. The water from bio-wheel trickles down to this little tray inside water and bounces from it going across the surface.

christerrell2k3: what is XP3?
- 2 Otocinclus Cats.
- 3 Spotted Corys (Corydoras agassizi)
- 4 Clown Loaches
- 2 Rosy Barbs
captainGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow, a Rena Filstar Xp3 on a 55gallon? that seems like overkill, since i've got the Xp2 on my 75gallon

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com