Fish feeling sad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kazpar7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a fish tank with 8 guppys, 5 tetras, and 3 sunset wagtail platys. Recently, one of the platys died, so I have 3.

I have noticed that ever since he died, 2 of the platys have not been eating properly/even at all for that matter. They seem fine but when I'm putting food into the tank, they're usually in their own corner just looking sad and gloomy.

Could it be because they feel emotional that one of their friends have died that they have now realised? I mean, while the poor platy was dying, they were pushing him to try and probably help him move. Or could it be a hidden disease? Any cure I can try?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As much as you might want them to, your fish do not feel emotions the way you do.
Best guess would be that whatever killed the first platy is also affecting the other two.

The first thing to check for in a situation like that is water quality. Have you tested for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

I've not tested it recently but all the other fish are fine. The problem with the last platy was the swim bladder disease, he just was deteriorating for a week and finally died. The other two looked healthy but stopped eating. Yesterday, one started eating again, and today one of them died. Their behaviour was normal this while time however.

One platy continues to live as normal loving life.

Do you think they can come in a dodgy way from the fish store?

A swim bladder issue is a symptom of another problem, not a problem in and of itself.
Whatever caused the swim bladder problem is likely affecting the others.

Whenever you have this type of problem testing your water will be the first step.

Back
Top Bottom