Good low price skimmer....Is there such a thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am building a 120G Reef with 40G sump and need a skimmer. I currently have a coralife 220 on my 75G reef and it seems ok, but could be better. What is a good, low priced skimmer that would be big enough for about 150 gallons of water? I am looking at the Bubble Magus NAC 6 for about $220. Is that a good "bang for the buck" skimmer???? suggestions appreciated!

I just got that. It works but it's really touchy. It's a really cheap design. The water level is controlled by a pipe that's cut at an angle and tthe whole thing looks like a fancy diy build
If you can get one used its worth it but I personally wouldn't pay 150 for it new

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The eshopps. I got this from a guy that was taking down his aquarium for 30 bucks. It's literally just pvc on rectangular piece of acrylic. If you like diy I can send some pics of it taken apart with measurements. It works fine once it's tuned in. If I didn't get such a good deal on it I would have built my own. I just wasn't to impressed with how it was made after I seen its price tag for a new one

I guess I would compare it to buying a sump. I personally would never pay 100 + to get something as simple as a sump when I can build my own for a 3rd of the price. If you can find a better one it might be worth it but if you can build your own sump you can easily build the eshopps protein skimmer almost identical

Have you done the modifications to the Coralife yet? I use one on my 240g tank. I have a different pump, 750gph, and mesh modified, works alot better than the original set up. You could buy one of the other skimmer pumps to make it a better skimmer also.
But all be told, the ones with the best LH/Intake and using a bubble plate work the best. They are basically all the same, fine the one that fits your budget, with the best air intake and utilizes a bubble plate, you can't go wrong. But you do want it twice rated for your tank volume.
You should be looking at the NAC 8 though.
Curve 7 would be a good option
But to get at the price you want, then your only choice that would really get you close to what you need is the SCA-302 $179
SCA-302 180 gallon Protein Skimmer

Thanks for the input. The guy that I was dealing with on the NAC6 will give me the NAC7 for the same price. $208.99 with free shipping. I think this will be good. Will post the out come.

Back
Top Bottom