Hagen Aqua Clear 70 Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bronxbomber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am using an Aqua Clear 70 on my 55gal FW community w/ about 47 inches of fish. Mostly Rainbows and 3 Angels. The tank is cycled with steady params. Getting a bit of a aquarium smell. I am considering changing my carbon insert.

Which brings me to my question. I am running 3 media. A sponge, then a carbon sack then the ceramic ring sack in the filter. I know mot to change all 3 or I will lose a lot of my bacteria. If I change one wil I undergo a minicycle? Does it matter what order the sacks are in? I know they need to be on top of the sponge. Can I make my own sacks? Or do I need to use the manufacturer's?

Any other suggestion, advice of tips would be most appreciated.

As of today: A:0 NI:0 NA: 15 PH: 7.6 TEMP: 89 20% PWCs weekly- 2x/week depending on clarity, ditrus, time etc.
Medium Planted.
Temp is high do to last few days of a Ich treatment. But the fish seem to like it so I may leave it. Yes, I am monitoring O2 and am running a lower waterline to help with surface aggitation.

you dont need to change the ceramic rings. you also dont need to replace the sponges. all you do is clean them in some old tank water. carbon only last a week or two. i would just buy carbon and replace the stuff in the bag. its a lot cheaper then buying their media. maybe try a larger wc like 50%.

I have an A/C 70 and it works great on my 30g tank ......................... I was reading and some people say that the carbons last one month and others say 1 to 2 weeks? help? Also, i was thinking could i just remove my carbon when they no longer work and open the bag and fill it up with new carbon and close it up and put it back in. Than rinse out the sponge with tank water and no change the biomax?

I dont run carbon in any of my tanks. The only time it is needed is to remove meds, and i've heard it gets rid of the "fish" smell, but because i do 50% pwc's weekly, i dont have that smell in any of mine (im assuming because i do lots of water changes?)

I've been running the tank with all three media's and my water looks great im thinking of only switching the carbon after a month and keeping the other 2 medias in there.

Back
Top Bottom