Heater Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie to this hobby. I've been buying things as I get extra money. My new stand came today, and I was excited, thinking that I could finally get things running, and realized I don't have a heater. I know nothing about them, and was hoping you guys could fill me in on what I needed, and what was out there, and what to look for, as I will probably pick one up this weekend. Locally we have a Petco and a Petsmart, that's about it.

I have a 40 gal tank,and plan on making it a freshwater tank, so any recommendations would be appreciated, thank you.

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie to this hobby. I've been buying things as I get extra money. My new stand came today, and I was excited, thinking that I could finally get things running, and realized I don't have a heater. I know nothing about them, and was hoping you guys could fill me in on what I needed, and what was out there, and what to look for, as I will probably pick one up this weekend. Locally we have a Petco and a Petsmart, that's about it.

I have a 40 gal tank,and plan on making it a freshwater tank, so any recommendations would be appreciated, thank you.

150w heater would work, but I like to have a bit of extra headroom, so in my 37g tall I opted for a 200w.

As for which one, I really like the Aqueon Pro series, black aluminum body and the setting control are numbers rather than just +/- marks. I have a 50w in a 8g and it's spot on temp wise.

Hi fish123,
Other than a tank & stand what do you have? That way we will be better able to help you with what you need. I buy all my equipment online. Depending on how much you buy, the shipping can be free. I also drive 45 min. & 3 towns up to buy my fish from an excellent FS, with very healthy stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Marine Depot for a large selection of heaters, filters, etc. I have done business with them in the past and they have been prompt and reliable when filling orders. Go to www.marinedepot.com for a big selection of products.

I really liked my Stealth Pro, but they were recalled :(

I have an aqueon pro 200w in my 40 breeder and am very happy with it. The temp stays stable at 78 degrees every time I look, though I did have to turn the temp to 76 on the dial (pretty common). Here is where I got mine, only in store.

Thanks for the help everyone. If the weather holds out, we will be doing some shopping tomorrow. We got a bunch of ice here tonight though, so I'm not holding my breath, summer could come any day now!

Had a nice surprise when I got home tonight though, my husband had my new stand all put together for me already, so I didn't have to do it, or even help!

WendiDell, so far I have a tank, stand, filter, glass top, light....oh yeah and a bottle of ammonia! Tomorrow, weather permitting, we will be looking at PFS, heater, air pump and accessories for an air pump, and background for the tank.

I wouldn't spend a pile of money on a heater I got all mine at Walmart for 40 bucks Tetra 200 watt heaters submersible and adjustable and the keep the desired temp perfectly steady

Back
Top Bottom