help needed - stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ahmed dada

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi fish lovers:). I have a cycled Jebo R338 stocked with 6 glow light tetras. The tank is about 40l and I was wondering what center piece fish would you recommend? The pet shop owners here in south africa are really bad at advice (eg - you can keep bettas with guppies ,they won't bother each other!) so i rely on your advice :). I like bettas and dwarf gouramis ,do you think I could get a male/female pair? What do they eat? I feed tetra min flake food, will they eat it? Do they get along with glowlights?

I have the exact same questions as above for the dwarf gouramis

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

I need help ASAP as the lfs closes In about 2 hours!!

Oh and I forgot to add. My tank is extremely densely planted with fine leaved and normal leaved plants. I read that glow lights like fine leaves so I planted some and they exploded!

You can keep a male and female betta together. If you like bettas go for either a male or female but be prepared that they may not get on with the tetras. I font know about dwarf gouramis sorry

If I was to keep one betta only which is less aggressive? Do they eat flake food? Thanx!

dwarf gouramis are quite hard fish to keep and are sometimes agressive,they do though usually get on with tetras

Yes you can get flake for them I use betta by tetra. And from what I understand I depends on the fish. I've been very lucky my lfs keep bettas in tanks with other fish so I could judge his temperament and he's very docile. I looked for a fish that wasn't flaring and was interested in my presence! Good luck :)

So I've decided to keep bettas. To what ratio should females be kept with males? I male for every ? Females? 2

My lfs keep only females in tanks with other fish. I think il purchase 2 females and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice! I'm sure when they get home il have 100 more questions for you! :)

Females are very difficult to keep together. I would not advise more than one for your first time you would need an extremely large tank and then I believe they are kept in threes. From what I have researched bettas are best kept alone

maestromad said:
Just read you have a 40l please only get one betta or they will kill each other

Ok so il just choose one female. Do you think she will be aggressive toward my glow lights and ghost shrimp?

Keeping in mind that I do have hiding places for them all. But will she be aggressive?

She may be ok like I said before it all depends in the betta. Watch how she is in the lfs especially of they are in with other fish

I got a male betta (5 shades of blue, red and orange) he minds his own business and ignores the other inhabitants:)

Excellent, get some pics up if you can. Plus what's his name?? Just keep an eye on him for a few days just to monitor his aggression levels. Good luck!

maestromad said:
Excellent, get some pics up if you can. Plus what's his name?? Just keep an eye on him for a few days just to monitor his aggression levels. Good luck!

His names Robert:) so far hes completely ignoring the others:D I chose him because he was in a tank with neon tetras and was minding his own business so I chose him as he seems non aggressive.

1.I have however noticed that he spends a lot of time at the bottom of the tank (by the substrate) And only comes up to eat is this normal?
2.he never flares so I can never take a good picture! How can I get him to flare?

Also I saw him with about 8 female bettas at the LFS so I was thinking if it would be possible to add 3 female bettas in my tank with him? Would he kill them (at the shop he ignored them)? Would he breed with them?

Considering he isn't aggressive would this be possible?

Ahmed dada said:
Also I saw him with about 8 female bettas at the LFS so I was thinking if it would be possible to add 3 female bettas in my tank with him? Would he kill them (at the shop he ignored them)? Would he breed with them?

Considering he isn't aggressive would this be possible?

I really don't recommend keeping males and females together in the same tank... She will kill him...
And female betta sororities are sometimes difficult because of the possible aggression issues.

Back
Top Bottom