Is there a minimum sized sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GJMattingly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning a small cichlid tank and it will be in my living room. The main tank is only 20 gallons but I don't have anywhere to put a bigger one. I was thinking I can have a very small sump just to hide my equipment( not so much to add water to the system). I already have a 2.5g would that work? Just a siphon down and pump back up? Don't wanna send much money. I have most off everything else from a previous tank? I know about the overstocking and stuff so it's in progress.

I would just use a hang on back filter for a 20 gallon. To answer your question yes it can be to small. Be careful what cichlids you get because they cant all go in that tank size

The bigger the sump the better for me

I would have a sump as big as my main tank if I could but a 6x2x2 sump was the biggest I could fit under mine lol

So would 2 hob be better then one. And I know im researching stock now.

The cost of making a nice looking functional sump is fairly high. With a DIY overflow there is the problem of hideous looking PVC in the tank. Store bought Hang on the back overflows are approximately $60

Although, I would add that if you are doing any sized sump you might as well make it as big as you can. You are going to need to pump the same amount of water either way to make it functional. You could use something as simple as a bucket or rubbermaid tote as the sump.

Back
Top Bottom