Lighting Fixture/Hood Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PostSquid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I am new to this forum. I need help here. I am planning on starting a 2nd tank. It will be a planted shrimp-only tank, 10 gallon. I am on a budget and I saw many light fixtures that are $100+. I found hoods from Aqueon that that are quite cheap. Here's a link: Aqueon » Fluorescent Deluxe Full Hoods | Products

The bulb I am going to use is a Coralife Aqualight 6700K bulb:
Coralife Coralife Aqualight 6,700K Daylight T5 Aquarium Lamp - High Output Aquarium T5 HO Bulbs

Browsing videos online, it seems that people use this bulb with fixtures that are out of my budget. The Aqueon hood is for fluorescent bulbs and the bulb is fluorescent. Before making any purchases I will regret, are these 2 compatible with each other?

Thanks for any help!

No, they are not compatible. The Aqueon hood requires a T8 bulb. The T5 is a different size and has different power requirements than a standard T8 fixture. However, the Aqueon with the T8 should be fine for a 10 gallon shrimp tank as long as you keep your plants in the low light species (anubias, java fern, hornwort, anacharis, etc.). I've grown all those under a stand Aqueon hood with a standard gro-light bulb and they were fine.

Back
Top Bottom