Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Yeah, i checked too, i must be thinking of aquacave or something. I bet you could get one at home depot though pretty cheap. They dont go higher than 6500k it seems there.
I checked on there website but didn't see anything. Of course, HD website stinks so that doesn't mean much. LOL I have to pick my middle daughter up at the Airport today so I wll stop by both and see what they have.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i would use a couple blue plus, perhaps a purple plus, and for daylights i would use 2 aquablue specials, and maybe a single GE 6500k.
Hey Mr_X. I am working on my DIY fixture. I have been able to reduce the width down to about 15" by cutting the ballast compartment out of the middle, moving the sides in and then mounting the ballast compartment on top. Getting ready to reroute the wiring and install the tombstones. Since my glass top has a plastic hinge running down the center, I loose a little light due to shadowing. What order would you recomend I install the lamps you recomended so I get the best results. You told me to put the two aquablue on the 2 lamp ballast and the remaining on the 4 lamp ballast but I can arrange the tombstones in any order I want. I would assume that since most corals will be situated to be viewed from the front of the tank I want the most punch out front. Your help is always appreciated and top notch in my book.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
first, a GE 6500k is going to run you about 5 bucks. searching for an aquatic lamp to match is will probably cost you 3 times that amount.

secondly, lamp arrangement will have to be entirely up to you. i would want an even mix of blue and white throughout the tank.
i would remove the glass top all together. better gas exchange and light penetration without the cover.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
first, a GE 6500k is going to run you about 5 bucks. searching for an aquatic lamp to match is will probably cost you 3 times that amount.

secondly, lamp arrangement will have to be entirely up to you. i would want an even mix of blue and white throughout the tank.
i would remove the glass top all together. better gas exchange and light penetration without the cover.
Mr X, i've been trying to find a 60" GE 3500k. I did find this though:

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/ge-...00k-t5-ho-lamp

Is this the right bulb i want to have?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Doug. I didn't find the 6500 at Lowes but I bet I will find it at HD. Just haven't had the chance to stop there yet. I appreciate the help.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post

GE Starcoat 6500K T5 HO Lamp

Thanks!
The color you are looking for is very standard in the electrical industry however the length and wattage is very unusal. You may get lucky at HD or Lowes but doubt it. You could check with some of the local electrical supply houses that serve contractors and you may find some in stock. (Only if someone ordered them by mistake). If that is the case, you would have to get an electrical contractor to buy it from them and then sell it to you. Most electrical supply houses require that you have an electrical license even for cash purchases.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post

GE Starcoat 6500K T5 HO Lamp

Thanks!
that's the same bulb. i don't know what the starcoat thing is. some new marketing i imagine.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

don't get all excited over this bulb. it's got some PAR, but will look quite yellow. if you can't find it, use a UVL75/25 or perhaps another daylight lamp to replace it. this is a mix and match till you love it thing, not anything set in stone.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mr.x: Whoops had a type there with the 3500k; meant 6500k. I'll look around for the the uvl 75/25. I may just go with 3 ATI aquablue specials. Think it might be
some overkill? but my tank is 26" high so maybe not.

RD: Yeah, i tried looking at HD and Lowe's, but no t5s in the 60" range. Kind of a bummer =/
Old 09-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

2' 3' and 4' are very common lengths for general lighting fixtures but 60" is extremely unusual. On top of that, I thought you were looking for 3500 which is very common.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com