MarineLand Reef LED "Capable" review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wlegrow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
.Hey Guys/Gals,

Just thought I'd share this with you.

About 5 months ago I bought a couple Marineland LED lights - one being the Double and the other the Reef Light.. After only 4 1/2 months with the reef lights I came home to find the light really dim and touched the connection to the light from the adapter - it was SCREAMING HOT... and actually had started melting the end of the light. I really think if I'd come home later that night, or it had started to malfunction earlier, I might have had a fire on my hands.

As for the long life of the LED's, I'd already had 6 bulbs out... so - not so good.

The next morning I took it back to my LFS and the guy there said that he'd had two brought back already with bad bulbs in them. The manager ended up giving me full credit for the purchase return and I replaced it with a T5 HO system - with a nice store credit to boot!

Definitely happy with the store, but not so much with the LED's they definitely still need some R & D yet... I have to say that the Reef Capable LED's actually look brighter than the T5 HO, but my open brain coral wasn't happy with the LEDs like it is with the T5's.

Thought anyone thinking of LED's should know my experience - if you go to buy them, make sure your LFS has a great return policy.

I think it was crappy diodes and crappy construction that caused the LEDs to crash. I built a simple 24" LED fixture using two rows of five Cree XR-E 3W diodes for my 20H and it works great. It's been running for maybe a year. It does get warm, nearly hot, but not quite, to the touch, but the only thing I'm using for a heat sink is the aluminum square tubing the fixture is built from. I made sure to put some thermal compound between the LED star plate and the tubing. You're making me glad that I cheaped out and built my own rather than going with the Marineland stuff.

You're probably right. I'm glad you're having good luck with yours! Good job.

I bought 2 truelumen pro 12k& actinic blue LED strips lil' over week ago. So far practically no heat at all, they come w/ a nice heatsink. I love how they look & the way they should drop my bill!!! Need to give more time for complete review tho. Just added a mushroom & zoanthids frag. Neither require much but i hope they like it.

Back
Top Bottom