My selection of lights, what would you choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IhaveNemos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 Marine-glo Actinic, 1 Sun-glo 4200K, and 1 Aqua-glo 18000K 32" lights to choose from. Im currently using the 2 Marine glo.

I plan on having fish, LR,and some sort of soft coral ( polyps etc) until I get better lighting. For my plans, which 2 would you pick?

Those bulbs are normal output flourescent...and if your plans do include corals I do not believe you have nearly enough light for any photosynthetic corals....even if running all 4 lamps. How deep is the tank?

If you skip the corals and looking to use 2 at a time, I would try the sunglo with an actinic bulb and see if it is able to balance out the color....really it becomes a matter of your taste.

My tank is about 24" deep. I guess I have to upgrade my lighting asap. I thought I'd be ok with the polyps and such :(

The only way I could see would be if you piled rockwork really high towards the surface and had some lowlight shrooms and polyps at the very top. Aesthetically, this may not be incredibly appealing. Depending on the length, a 3' or 4' power compact fixture may do the trick without breaking the bank.

Well, I went in to the LFS tonight and checked out the VHO lights ....not bad. He has some Metal halides coming in soon, I may as well wait and get those. I want to do it right.... I'm starting to think my 77g is going to be too small lol.

I was like this with computers..built my first one and next thing I knew I had 5 sitting in my room with all the gizmos :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom