Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
need light advise

is eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices a good enough light for a planted tank? not sure what kinda plants or even fish prolly cichlid though.

aoessand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
The 6500K lighting is the right spectrum for plants. Whether or not it is adequate is dependant on the types of plants you want and the dimensions of your tank. I'm no expert on LED lighting and how effective they are, but you will need the lighting to be strong enough to penetrate the water with the right spectrum. Just because you can see with the lighting doesnt mean the plants would be getting enough of the proper light.

Water depth is the biggest issue. You will need enough lumens to penetrate the depths in order for them to survive. The plants that need only low light may thrive with a setup that would starve something that required higher amounts of light.

Decide on what you want in your tank, find out what they need and go from there. When you have that, let us know and we can guide you from there.

Good luck!
Why do I love fish? Because every time I stare into the little world I have created for them, every problem I have just floats away....
Retired_AF is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com