Need new protein skimmer - which is best? 180gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1brent1

Aquarium Advice Activist
what is a highly rated protien skimmer for my 180 gal? The current one I have that came with the tank is to tall 36". I need one that is 30" or shorter to fit in my new stand.

thanks

The ASM Skimmers (G1 - G4 models) are all under 30". The ASM G4 is supposedly rated to 350 gallons, but you know how manufacturers overestimate.

I like the aquamedic turbofloater multi....I own 3, none of which have given any problems and they skim well, maintenance is minimal.

I ended up getting 2x Aqua Medic Turboflotor 1000. The pumps, I want and was told to get was 2x rio 2100ul's at only 25watts each.

I'm running into a problem now, I found out that the new "rio 2100 plus" you can't change in the needle wheel impeller that comes with the protein skimmer. Only the older models have that option with out the "plus" but nobody seems to have them anymore but only the new "plus" models.

The whole reason I went with the 2x T1000's was because of the rio pumps at 25 watts each. That would be more efficient to run then buying one larger skimmer with a larger 50+ watt pump. 2 smaller ones I believe would work better then 1 larger skimmer like the Aqua Medic "Shorty".

Anyone know where I can find 2x RIO 2100UL's (older non-plus models) ?

Hara said:
IMO Rio pumps suck and are quite fault prone. Electrical issues to where you get barbecued and also the motors seizing up. Both of these issues happened to me with 2 different rio pumps. Oceanrunner is the pump recommended for the aquamedic turbofloater series....I got mine through oceanencounter.com

http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=OE&Category_Code=OR

There are some of the oceanrunner pumps.
Yeah, I'm aware of the ocean runners but I want the 25 watt pump. I look at it this way for the same price I can run 3 of the rio's as to 2 of the ocean runners. I've read a lot of people that run the setup and are happy with it. I also read a lot of unhappy people with particular rio pumps most of which are all non UL Listed. I going to take my chance.

thanks anyways though.

Back
Top Bottom