Need opinions skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dimdim

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all, I am shopping around for a protein skimmer that will fit in a sump area of 7x7 that will be able to handle a 75 gallon tank and 25 gallon sump. I have looked into a few, cad lights pipeless skimmer, marineland 100, and the turbofloater 1000 blue hob, also looking at the aqua c urchin. Willing to spend around 300 on the high end. But would like to save some money. Will have a medium to heavy bioload in a few weeks or so due to an upcoming tomini or kole tang and whitetail bristletooth tang . Any inputs on any suggested skimmers would be great!

Also water level is around 5-7 inches

I like my Reef Octopus ... the model I have is too big for your space, but I believe they have a model with a 6" footprint...

That's not very much footprint for a model that has to handle 100g. I scanned through BRS's selection, and if you can't create a larger chamber, you may need to put a HOB skimmer on your sump. Even the Reef Octopus 6" space saver has a footprint of 9.5" x 7.5", and that's one of the smaller ones I could find.

Id rather have a hob skimmer. I know the cad lights pipeless will fit in the space, but i do believe ill be buying a super skimmer 125 or aqua max.

And the chamber is not sble to be made bigger its a prebuilt marineland sump what about an external skimmer?

The tank is plumbed to fit the sump. They came together. Id have to draineverything and start all over. Maybe ill just hang one on my tank instead a reef octopus maybe

You don't have to drain everything, just the sump. You can run the tank without the sump while you make alterations.

Hmm good point mr x. I have a spare 40 breeder but i know it wont fit in unless i take the tank off the top to put it below. My current sump is setup that way too

Might get two ten gallons or a ten and a 20, drill them and plumb them together one for intake and skimmer secondfor fuge return

That would work. A 40 breeder won't fit in the stand of a 75 anyway, since they are the same width front to back.

So my return pump just gave out on me. Woke up yo thousands of bubbles comjng from my return. Im sick of crappy equipment. Like very sick of it. Should i buy another marineland 4500 or go with an ehieim

Holy smokes your luck, don't play the lotto, they probably would figure out a way to tax it all. Lol I've had pretty good luck with my mag 7 it's a used one also. I figured if they use them in ponds around here, they've got to be dependable. I would probably go with the different brand your looking at.

I think im going with the speedwave 5000 or 10000 from aquacave.com i need a 1 inch hose diameter outlet from pump

That would work. A 40 breeder won't fit in the stand of a 75 anyway, since they are the same width front to back.

Could i plumb the two tanks with a gravity fed overflow? Or will i have to drill them ?

You could just drill one of them with a side drain line, elevate it a little bit above the second tank, and just have it drain out the side and down into the second....... I wouldn't use a siphon overflow for this.

Sweet! Just like a drilled overflow for my tank ? But a gravity fed drilled hole?

Exactly... you're just "waterfalling" from one tank to the next. So if your pump quits (again :lol:) , the waterfall stops... no overflows.

Last edited:
Im just wondering how i could get the right amount of water inthe two tanks if the pump stops.. Never done anything like this before

The water level in your main tank and the first sump tank will never change..... the water level won't go above the drain line, and if the water stops, it won't go below the drain line, either. The only water level that will change is the chamber your return pump is in..... It will drop as top-offs are needed.

Back
Top Bottom