Need RO advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJ Guy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125 gallon tank and I haven't put in any water yet due to fact I don't have a RO filter yet. I look online and see all these types of filters, but it looks like they all are like the same thing except for the different stages. Can anyone advice me on a good but affordable RO filter. I saw this type of filter that a bunch of people were getting off ebay called the Typhoon III. Well any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Chris

Oh ok so I need both, do you have any suggestions as to which system I should get? There was this other system that I saw on ebay in contrast to the one austin showed me. It was an Aqua Safe filter system that pretty much had the same things as the one presented by austin. I don't know if anyone has tried this system. But any input would be great. Thanks.

Chris

hey i just won the bid on a aqua safe 6 stage ro/di with the holding tank i also purchased an inline tds meter. i should get it all by friday i hope they told me because of the hurrican that their backlogged on shipping. i could let you know maybe by this weekend once i get it up and running and tested and see if it works well. i will post back when i get if you are waiting that long dont know ???
how that helps

Ya sure flame that would be great. No i'm not in any rush right now at buying the system I was just looking around trying to find out which would be a good reliable one. Also let me know how much was the final price including shipping when you won the bid.

I don't know if this is the one that you got but, if it is ya please let me know how it works for you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-MAXIM...404267351QQcategoryZ20684QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not sure whether to get this one of the one listed above by seaham. Hope to hear from you soon Flame. See if you could also post some pics, that would be great :).

Chris

yup that would be the one i got accept that i didnt buy that paticluar pacakage with all the replace ment filters since i will probably only be making about 6 gallons a week between my two tank so it would be a while before i needed repalcing. but thats still a good deal you would be set for a few years depending on how much you use it. as soon as it gets here i will let ya know how well it works for me i plan to tare one tank down and replace the watet, so i should be able to run 60 plus gallons through it and a good test run. i also purchase the meter separte just so i can make sure its working and know when i need to replace filter heres the link i think i will like this better than the hand held and their almost the same price:http://stores.ebay.com/H2O-Science_W0QQsspagenameZL2QQtZkm

its at the bottom of the page

and heres is the one i bidded on and won for price, ship= 107.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-100GP...itemZ4404587617QQcategoryZ20684QQcmdZViewItem

and i will post asap when it gets here 8)

aqua safe canada, and the american company (water general? I forget) that sell on ebay both make good systems that many people report success with.

I am REALLY glad I got the small pressure tank, and the drinking water faucet (For RO only) which came with mine.

I have the 6 stage from the american co, and I think I paid 120 with everything

FWIW, I've got a kent CTA10. 10 gallons per day. I'm wondering why some of you have such high capacity units? I mean my tank is relatively big (120), and I use maybe 1 gallon per day for top off and then 15 gallons every 2 weeks for PWC.

So getting 10 gallons per day more than handles my needs. I believe I also read that the lower capacity units have finer membranes.

And I know most of you insist on the DI along with the RO but so far (knock on my wood head) I haven't experienced any ill effects for not having the DI.

Mike

I like the larger unit 'cause you don't have to wait 4ever to fill up a 5g container. When you have to leave those things on 4 a long time, you tend to forget they're running. Of course when I do water changes (after a few) I fill my 32g trash can to at least half way - but again, don't have to wait all day for it.

No_Floater I tried to take a look at that site but it doesn't seem that the URL is working, either that or the company is no more? Ya Jaiden when I was looking at the Aqua Safe system it looked really dependable, and I mean i've noticed alot of companies just get like the generic filters and do da's and just add their cheesy white labels to them. But it seems that Aqua Safe is a good system (but i'm just a little hesitant since it comes from canada, you know how them canadians are hehe j/k).

Chris

spinman, I have the 100gpd unit and will be getting a 75 replacement membrane when its time to replace mine.
I like water fast and don't want to be waiting around all day. Your lucky if you dont need a DI unit. Most people have water that needs the extra unit to remove all minerals and nitrates, phosphates, silicates. If I could do w/out a Di I would, it would save me some $$. So when we say you should get a DI it is based on experiance with bad water and knowing people who have used just ro units and had algae issues.
I have the typhoon III and love it... AWI is a great company with great customer support. Does it cost a little more then most...yes. But knowing you will get the best service is worth it to me.

well i havnet forgot to reply back but i finally got a shipping tracking number today and wooser it wont be here at the earliest next thursday so i will still post back to ya when i test it out next ahh wanted to tear into the tank this weekend but ohh well it was way cheaper than buying anywhere else.

hay just got my ro/di and will hook it up tommrow i will let know what the water test out to be

I have the coralife RO unit and I had my TDS tested and right out of my tap water was a little over 300ppm and with the unit was about 20ppm. Thats pretty good amount of TDS being removed with just the RO unit.

CJ.

The unit you are looking at is the one I have. Walt is great guy to work with. He has answered my emails on weekends and been very helpful over the 2+ years I've had my unit. The Typhoon series come with clear plastic housings. I find that important for the first stage so I can see when that filter gets dirty and needs to be changed. Just my 2¢ worth.

hey just postin back finally!!! got the system hooked up and running and my readings are 96 ppm before and 0-3ppm final water

I like the design of the system Fluff posted.. Ive been looking at there systems and contacted the seller about getting a drinking water system (the tank) and she said that the tank is only $25 + $3 s/h if you get the system.. well all told.. If you want to add extra pre-filter cartiges and other add ons she ended up giving me the toll free number to just call and make my order over the phone.. adding the lighter stuff they dont add for shipping and handling if you buy a system..
Fluff's system

If you make a big list of add on items you would like to get with the system and save yourself some shipping and handling the number to contact them to order directly is..
1-888-633-7972 (10am-5pm PST, M-F)
HTH

Back
Top Bottom