New 55 Gallon Tank- Heater & Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMOOOZZZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI All,

I just purchased a 55 gallon tank, I currently have a 29 gallon tank with 5 Cichild fish (4 of them are about 4 1/2 inch long)and I am upgrading to this new tank. I need to cycle this one however before I begin the process, can you advise how many filters this tank should have I also need to know how many heaters should I purchase and what name brands are good or which filters and heaters I need to stay away from.
One last question, the strip temperature gauge stuck to the outside of the tank does that work properly? What type of temperature gauge should I have? Thanks
(y)

Hi.

I have a successful 55 gallon tank for some time now and I'm using a aqueon 65-75 hang on back filter and that works great. I've put it on the right side and the heater on the left side with a power head on the left side also. It pushes the heat aid the tank well. The heater is an aqueon 100 gallon heater. It maybe a little over kill but my tank is always 78 on the far side and 79 on the other.

The reason I use aqueon is because they have a lifetime guarantee. If it breaks they will replace it. Aqueon may cost a bit more but well worth it. For example... If you buy a Tetra 75 gallon filter at Walmart it may last for a few years but when it fails you will have to buy a new one. Those two filters will cost more then one Aqueon filter. Aqueon will repair replace your filter for free or very little money.

I have two stick on temp gauges in my tank and a glass thermometer. They are always within one degree.

Loachlover1980 what brand is your power head? Thank you for the information.

Aquaclear 110 is a great HOB filter. If you prefer canister, eheim 2215, fluval 306, Rena Xp3 are good brands. A 100 watt heater is not overkill, usually 100-200 is what you want, I prefer to stay low in case of a broken thermostat, so 100 is ok.

I said 100gallon heater because there are different watt ratings by different manufacture s. The heater I'm using is a 300 watt heater. The box.indicates it is for 100 gallon tank

Back
Top Bottom