Overflow help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I hastily drilled for two (half inch) bulkheads on my tank and fixed a fairly permanent box around them which is posing a few major problems.

boxah.jpg

Will it be possible to drain my tank fast enough with 2 half inch drains?

It depends on your return pump. With a 1/2 pipe you will only get around 300 GHP max so two 1/2" lines will max out at 600 GPH...and that is definitely the upper limit. Realistically I won't even attempt to go over 500 GPH.

Thanks guys. My tank is a twenty long. I test ran with around 400gph and it was WAAAY too much. I had 2 elbows connected to each drain and the tubing were very thick walled tubes that fit inside the elbow on the outside of the tank. another thing that may have been slowing the drain was maybe the fact that the drain tubes were submerged well below the water level in my sump?

is their a fitting i can use on the outside of these threaded bulkheads that i can connect flex tubing to? or do i need to just get the bulkheads with the "barbed" outside?

will using a fitting that fits 3/4" flex tubing add any flow?

Back
Top Bottom