powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What else are you having in your tank as far as water movement. If the only thing your going to use for water movement I would suggest 3 or 4 powerheads so as to develop an nice random flow of currents.

Maxijet's and Hagen powerheads are my preference.

i have a pump with an airstone , a emperior filter a and a sea clone 100 protien skimmer and i was thinking of getting 2 powerheads. but were should i put them behind the rock ??

I have 2 maxi jet 1200s in my 37 gal, I'm turning over close to 20gpa. In a reef tank you want lots of movement, 15 is a good number. The maxijet 1200s put out 295 gpa each. I would go with 2 of them. Aiming both toward to middle to get a sort of chaotic flow of random currents. I, along with MANY people praise the maxijet line of powerheads. Good luck!

I have a 45. I have 2 zoomed ph's(don't buy these, not bad but not good) at opposite ends of the tank blowing towards the top that cause surface agitation. I have 2 maxi 1200's on opposite ends blowing down towards the substrate. I'm getting about 20X turnover in the tank which is about the maximum recommended. The current is not bad enough where the fish have a hard time swimming though.

Be sure to have at least one pointing towards the surface for gas exchange and to prevent the 'oil slick' on the surface. One on the bottom to move water over the lr/ls for biological filtration.

Also, many recommend not using the airstone because it causes a lot of salt creep.

I would recommend two Maxi Jet 1200's. that's what I run in my 40gallon, plus an AC mini HOB for occasional mechanical filtration..and it all works great.

Back
Top Bottom