Questions about RO/DI units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkAnviL

Aquarium Advice Regular
Looking into buying a R/O unit and not sure really whats best as far as which model. I'm sure as always more $$$=better lol. A friend of mine recommended from these SpectraPure Customer Appreciation SALE! 20% - 50% off

He has the 3rd one down. I was considering possibly between the two above that, the more expensive ones. The top two are R/O DI while the third one is just R/O. Is R/O DI better than R/O alone? How much better is the top one compared to the next unit down? Right now it's a toss up between the top and 2nd one on that page. Also while I'm asking questions, roughly how often do units like these need servicing? Like changing filters and whatever other maintainence is needed?

ive had mine in maybe 2 months with no service yet, I have the spectrapure 25gpd unit and have upgraded(waiting on shipment) to a 100gpd unit.

I use RO only not ro/di the first unit is better due to it having a silica neutralizer thats the extra cartridge you see.
I think most reefers use the RO/DI unit. 90gpd is a good unit. usually 3 gallons of waste to 1 gallon of RO/DI purified.

I am assuming filter changes depend on the quality of the water you are conditioning. heavier TDS water supplies will more then likely go thru filters more then a light TDS supply would.

ive had mine in maybe 2 months with no service yet, I have the spectrapure 25gpd unit and have upgraded(waiting on shipment) to a 100gpd unit.

I use RO only not ro/di the first unit is better due to it having a silica neutralizer thats the extra cartridge you see.
I think most reefers use the RO/DI unit. 90gpd is a good unit. usually 3 gallons of waste to 1 gallon of RO/DI purified.

I am assuming filter changes depend on the quality of the water you are conditioning. heavier TDS water supplies will more then likely go thru filters more then a light TDS supply would.

Ok I'm a total noob on R/O units so please forgive my ignorance on the subject, where does the waste water go? Is there a hose you can aim down your sink drain or something? And I'm guessing you need a pail or something to collect the purified water?

goes down your drain,into a rain barrel, back into the water supply down stream from the RO unit. yes its in the form of a small hose.

yes youd need a holding tank to suit your needs.

I will take better pics tomorrow night when the sump plumbing is finished and get close pics to show you how we hooked ours up with supply shut offs, but we also feed to a ice maker and water dispenser all the time. so as long as I remember to close the valve my holding tank doesnt flood me out.

Well I believe I'm going to get the one on top of the list, like I said I'm sure more $$$=better.

keep shopping around. a quick search of a sponsor of another forum yielded this

CT water should be fairly good to start with. i would spend the extra $15 for the chloramine filter, and the DI bypass if you want to drink the water. I use the waste water for my FW tank, but mostly I just make a huge mess with it spilling it over the 5 gal jugs in the bathroom. if you send it outside to a barrel you can use it to water the lawn.

Back
Top Bottom