RO / DI Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

What is the difference in RO/DI units?

Every unit i've found locally, (Hardware store, and LFS) were RO only units.

The LFS said the DI unit was more trouble then its worth to maintain, and the RO takes out 99.2% of everything in the water.

Most the RO units at the Hardware store only put out less than 20gpd, the unit at the LFS was a coralife RO that put out 24gpd, and was $139, vs $159+ for the units found at the hardware store...

But i've also found 100gpd units on ebay for as little as $105 shipped.

Are all RO units created equal? How are the coralife units?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Go with 6 stage RO/DI unit on ebay from filterdirect. That's what I got for $110. Not a bad deal. It's 110 gallons per hour. I think that's really the info that you're looking for...How many stages it is.

Edit: Do a search on this site regarding RO/DI units. You'll find a TON of info.

Do you need a holding tank for the RO/DI system, or can you get water direct from the RO/DI unit?

I will be mounting it under the sink and will have a tap on the top of the sink to retrieve water.

When we mix saltwater, we do it 1g at a time. Just FYI if that matters for my above question..

What's the difference in these 2 units?

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4450040352&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7754440532&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Thanks,

-TheChad

Holding tank is NOT needed if your only using it for tank water.
The LFS does not know what there talking about.. A RO/DI unit is the best water we can get for our tanks and the membrane does NOT remove phosphates and nitrates so a DI is needed. Maintenance is easy, unscrew housing remove old filter, put new filter in and then screw housing back on. how hard is that... Refilling your own resin is easy also..
I like the units from airwaterice.com. I have the typhoon III and it is a great unit.
a 75 GPD is all you need and is the most efficient when it comes to waste/good water production. there are some good units on ebay, I would get the one that has a housing for the 10" DI resin.

seaham358 said:
The LFS does not know what there talking about.. A RO/DI unit is the best water we can get for our tanks and the membrane does NOT remove phosphates and nitrates so a DI is needed.

Every RO unit's spec's I have seen all say they remove Nitrates, Depending on the unit I've seen from 92%-99%. I never looked at phosphates..

Which one are you talking about with the housing for the 10" DI Resin??

How about using just a DI system?

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter System

Thanks,

-TheChad

Can you drink DI water? I am looking at a RO DI system on ebay, it has a Tap for RO water, and a Ball valve for RO+DI Output... Says the ball valve is for dispensing DI Aquarium water, and the Tap is for Dispensing RO drinking water....

Is there a reason why you wouldn't drink DI water?

Thanks...

-TheChad

I dont know if you can drink it or not but I do know you should go with the RO/DI unit and remove 99.9 % on heavy metals and other contaminants.

Back
Top Bottom