T5ho for reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thing that makes a T5HO fixture good is individual reflectors for each bulb. It looks like that fixture has 1 reflector. It's probably fine for everything except high light demanding corals like most SPS.

Ok that makes sense. Would that be ok for soft corals and say like a brain coral that goes on the sandbed? Also If I did get that light and I want to look at live aquaria for corals do I consider that medium or low lighting? thanks

That light won't support a brain coral. You'd need a better fixture (more bulbs, individual reflectors) to keep it happy. I'd say that fixture would provide low-med lighting.

As Larry mentioned, what makes T5s so strong are the individual reflectors that this unit doesn't have. I would really think about getting a different fixture. You get what you pay for in regards to reef lighting.

It really comes down to what type of corals you want to have. Also, you don't HAVE to go T5s. LEDs and MHs are other options as well. It's really up to you.

I think I'm going to hold off and save up for some LEDs. I think I will eventually go with 2 of the 120 watt that mr x used in his build. I should have no restrictions on corals with them right ?

Hondatek said:
I think I'm going to hold off and save up for some LEDs. I think I will eventually go with 2 of the 120 watt that mr x used in his build. I should have no restrictions on corals with them right ?

Yep then you'll be all set. You can even get one now and hang it in the middle with minimal dark spots on the sides

Back
Top Bottom