to light or not to light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

border324

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have been in the sw field for about 2-3 years. i have always had a fish only system . now i would like to go to reef. but i hear so much about pc and vho and metal .
i would like to find out whats the best bang for my buck.
i would like to keep all kinds of coral not just soft.
whats your opinion.
thanks
velvet

i have a 55 gallon
with 60 pounds of live rock
about 3 inch of agranite sand
maxi-jet 900
a hang on t-tech filiter/w heater
125gallon rated wet dry filter
and a 25 watt uv sterizer

fish
dorrie
and 2 yellow tail damsels
nemo

i have a 55 gallon
with 60 pounds of live rock
about 3 inch of agranite sand
maxi-jet 900
a hang on t-tech filiter/w heater
125gallon rated wet dry filter
and a 25 watt uv sterizer

fish
dorrie
and 2 yellow tail damsels
nemo

what do you think of power compact and vho lighting
what lighting is good. and what could i keep with each type of lighting.

also what type of lighting do spongs and clams require?
velvet

Most clams need MH but there are some low light clams that can be kept.
I have VHO on my 125 reef 4x110 2 icecap ballasts 2 actinic, 2 super white and I have hammers, frog spawn, alveopora, bubble, 2 kinds of leathers, torch, kenyas, zoos, shrooms, galexia, button polyps, yellow polyps, fox, xenia..... I am sure I left out something. I like the VHO system, with the MH my tank would be running hotter and I would need a chiller so more $$$.
I have seen tanks with PC lights and they are nice. The T5 are the new lights that a few guys in my reef club are using and they like them a lot.
Cost... VHO you need to change the bulbs out every 6-8 months, PC 12-16 months not sure on the MH and T5 lights.
Keeping tank cool is something to think about and cost of electricity with MH lights may be more. Do some shopping around and see what fits you wallet/pocket book

The use of the word "nemo" should be banned from AA. Refer to clownfish as ocellaris, or by their common names. :x -Looks kinda constipated.

I think the term nemo is cute and a good way to ATTRACT new people to the hobby, we always seem to get to caught up in being "right". We need to remember that nothing had a name until humans gave it one, and language has evolved for thousands of years. If the movie changed the name of the fish to nemo for the general population, so be it.

Just my $.02, Joshua...

Back
Top Bottom