Vintage Metal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You tube could have answered all that in a 2 min video :p

hahaha why would I YouTube when I've got all you fine folk?? ;p

Mom2red - :p hehe I'm glad! And delapool, ugh they do! haha it's never THAT easy.

But seriously, I hope it worked. The more I looked at the tank, the more it looks like it used to have the slate bottom and someone replaced it. I ran some silicone along the outside bottom of the tank as well, just in case. I won't be able to refill it until Wednesday, so here's to crossed fingers!

The original slate bottom may have cracked prompting a replacement with glass. Hope the seals hold. Fully filled leak test when it's cured.
A little late for this, but plenty of paper towels and a using moistened finger tip are helpful hints when caulking.
From your description, this is what I pictured from your adventure:
uKjnYwA.png
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The original slate bottom may have cracked prompting a replacement with glass. Hope the seals hold. Fully filled leak test when it's cured.
A little late for this, but plenty of paper towels and a using moistened finger tip are helpful hints when caulking.
From your description, this is what I pictured from your adventure:
uKjnYwA.png
Good luck!

BASICALLY.
haha I do have a giant sheet of cardboard I lay out when I do art projects, so at least the mess got on that instead of my floor.

Thank you though!! Those are extremely helpful tips and if I have to do it again, I'll definitely be trying it out. :)

Ever get the silicone off your fingers?? I always wear latex gloves when I have to finger trowel it into a corner, that and blue tape for clean lines. Sorry It's after the fact:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

:p No worries!

The silicone came off eventually - I managed to yell at Siri enough that she googled it for me. Now don't laugh at me...
It said use mineral spirits and since I have no idea what they were (at the time) I was like, hey maybe mineral oil is the same! I have that!
Oh wait I lied. I have baby oil. Oh well, let's try that!
Needless to say, that didn't really work, so I did the dishes next, hoping that would help. It pretended to.
I guess it eventually wore off but I will defffff be using gloves next time! hahaha

In the future. . Nail polish remover (acetone) will do;)

Oooo don't tell me that!! haha I actually had my bottle out because the Internet recommended using it to clean the glass before applying. I did brush up against one of my cotton balls with sticky hands at one point though and needless to say, I was immediately white and fuzzy haha

Well. Tank went well with about an inch of water in it overnight. I've just filled it to about two thirds... Fingers crossed guys!!

Dreams of drip drip drip drip drip:p kiddinggg.. fingers crossed!

Well.....

It looks like it held up!!!
Time to re weight the corner filter and put it all back together!!

Best Saturday ever!

Awesome!!! That whole thing must have been super frustrating. All I can think is thank goodness it was a smaller tank and it was a slow drip!! Mine are all fine but I like have nightmares of it happening to my 55

Please hold as I dance all over my apartment.

I think that's the Frappacino talking.
Looks good. And "coasters" are a nice touch. Fingers crossed that it stays water tight.
What were planning on putting in this tank?

Looks nice!

I've got to ask - there were posts about an original slate bottom. Is that slate as the rock or meaning something else?

Back
Top Bottom