Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #11

Your tap water has a pH of 6? That's too low for Africans.

I would switch to things that appreciate a lower pH. Angels can tolerate your aquarium's pH of 6.5ish very happily. Apistogramma would be another good choice, or blue rams. And maybe some tetras like cardinals.

To raise your pH the safest thing would be to use a buffer in a jar that's properly measured and stable. You can use seachem's Malawi/Victoria buffer. Easily available online. Mix it in a bucket until you get the desired pH and hardness and then add it to the aquarium. Don't change the pH all at once. Change 5 or so % of the water at a time and add in this buffered water.

You have bigger problems than your low pH though. The ammonia, being that high, is totally lethal to your fish. You should get something like seachem prime or Ammo-Lock and try to detoxify the ammonia you've got. Honestly, I'd remove the fish and take them back to the store if I were in your position, get your tank under control, and then add fish back slowly.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks. I can do just that.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will try to get the water correct then if I have to I will take the fish back
Old 01-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalmony8688 View Post
One hour after testing. My PH is low at 6.4. Was higher before water change.
Ammonia- 4.0 which didn't change after water change.
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate-0

That tank is at the beginning of a cycle. You are going to need to do many back to back pwc to get the ammonia down quickly or you will lose all your fish to ammonia poisoning. I don't know what nite-out is, but if you are using a quality dechlorinator like prime, I wouldn't add it. Just double the dose of prime for the whole tank with each 50% pwc.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspixie View Post
That tank is at the beginning of a cycle. You are going to need to do many back to back pwc to get the ammonia down quickly or you will lose all your fish to ammonia poisoning. I don't know what nite-out is, but if you are using a quality dechlorinator like prime, I wouldn't add it. Just double the dose of prime for the whole tank with each 50% pwc.
I didn't catch that.

Clearly this person did not learn about the nitrogen cycle and cycle the tank properly. What he/she probably did was let the tank run, empty, with no added ammonia for 30 days.

He/she should, IMO, now take all fish back, buy a bottle of pure ammonia, and dose it to maintain 4ppm to cycle the tank over the next month or so.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I let the tank cycle with minnows for 4 weeks. And everything was fine for several weeks then a ammonia is getting worse. I'm new to this. I got a bottle of 8.2 Proper by API to get the PH up and also continue with 50% water changes every hour till no ammonia is present. Can I use the PH buffer and prime at the sane time? When adding new water
Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did another 50% WC when I got home. Just checked levels. I added some API 8.2 PH buffer and then also extra amounts of Prime.
PH-7.6
Ammonia- down to 1. Another 50% WC. Updates tomorrow
Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Did another 50% WC when I got home. Just checked levels. I added some API 8.2 PH buffer and then also extra amounts of Prime.
PH-7.6
Ammonia- down to 1. Another 50% WC. Updates tomorrow
You jacked your pH in your tank from 6.4 to 7.6 in this short an amount of time? Do you have any idea how dangerous that is to your fish?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's weird. I check the levels daily and they are always different. But today I checked it using the regular PH kit. I did the same yesterday. Like I said before I might not be reading it correctly. But the fish seem to be doing a lot better. After the water change today a few still came up and were gasping for air but they seem to be better now
Old 01-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #20

Quote:
It's weird. I check the levels daily and they are always different. But today I checked it using the regular PH kit. I did the same yesterday. Like I said before I might not be reading it correctly. But the fish seem to be doing a lot better. After the water change today a few still came up and were gasping for air but they seem to be better now
I asked already but I'll ask again, what brand of test kit are you using? Are you sure they are not expired? To read the test, stand under the whitest light possible (or sunlight) and hold the test tube against the white backed card that came with the test kit that has the colors on it.

What exactly does it say on the test kit you're using (ie, API High range pH test kit, etc)

Take a picture of your completed test next to the color chart and post it. Might help.

The test kit(s) came with instructions. Have you read them? (ie, you have to shake bottle 2 of the nitrate kit for 30 seconds, then shake the test tube for 60 seconds, etc)

Tags
ate, test, test kit, test kits, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com