what difference between bioballs & biomax/ceramic rings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
bioballs
BioBalls.jpg

biomax/ceramic rings
9763_1.jpg

which is better?
do they need to be replaced every month??

I dont know which is better but you dont want to ever replace them. Let them be they are a great home for your bacteria colonies.

The bio-max is designed to trap particulate matter within the openings and provide an additional surface for bacterial colonies.

I've never seen those bio-balls...what type are they?

Both are pretty good....the bonus with bio-balls is that you can more easily rinse accumulated gunk out of them (and they tend to work better in a true wet-dry system).

Toirtis said:
the bonus with bio-balls is that you can more easily rinse accumulated gunk out of them (and they tend to work better in a true wet-dry system).

i have a wet-dry filter and bioballs are amazing !!
they NEVER get blocked (they CAN'T !!! )

i believe that the ceramic rings can get clogged

I was wondering the same thing. Can the bioballs be used in a canister filter? I was going to replace the ceramic rings that I have with bioballs but didn't know if there were any advantages of them over the ceramic rings. Any thoughts?

(Sorry, I don't mean to hijcak the thread, it just seems that we are on the same wave length"

Ideally, they could be used in a canister, if there were enough oxygenation in it, but that much air usually causes a locked-up canister.

greenmaji said:
maybe a CO2 reactor in the intake that has air pumped in it would give you enough disolved O2?

Possibly, but I would think that would also have a high risk of enough gas to potentially cause the filter to stall....an interesing idea, though, someone should give it a try.... :wink:

I would rig it up were I could bleed off the extra air with a gang valve.. when the air is too much for the DIY or commercial reactor to handle just let some air out of an extra valve outlet..

Back
Top Bottom