36g Rescape to a Species Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeeLee2013

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm tearing down my 36g bowfront so I can turn it into a species tank! This tank has already gone through a fish-in cycle, and my specs are stable enough to start customizing the tank to match my dream!!

I have on order:
- Limnophila sessiliflora
- Rotala rotundifolia
- Dwarf sagittaria
- Rotala macrandra
- Ludwigia repens
- Bacopa monnieria
- Ludwigia, narrow leaf
- Blyxa japonica
- 2 bags of Eco-Complete, black
- Manzanita
- Grapewood (might not use this)
- 5lbs Seiryu stones

And I already have:
- T5HO bulbs, 1x 6500k 24w & 1x Aquaflora 24w, plus TrueLumen LEDs
- 2 bags of pool sand for a top layer of substrate
- 2x AC50 HOB filters

My tank sits barren with only faux plants and decor at the moment. Once everything starts rolling in, I'll be tearing it up to build it all over again!

My biggest concern is a tannin leech and a rise in my GH. Our locale already has liquid rock for water, so I may look into a softening product.

Since this tank will be planted, I also have camo green monofilament to help tie down the plants which would rather float easier, black plastic canvas to tie to, and the tools to help with the 'scape.

Pictures will be forthcoming!

Oh, and did I mention I live for feedback and opinions? ??

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Tropical Community
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

I'm tearing down my 36g bowfront so I can turn it into a species tank! This tank has already gone through a fish-in cycle, and my specs are stable enough to start customizing the tank to match my dream!!

I have on order:
- Limnophila sessiliflora
- Rotala rotundifolia
- Dwarf sagittaria
- Rotala macrandra
- Ludwigia repens
- Bacopa monnieria
- Ludwigia, narrow leaf
- Blyxa japonica
- 2 bags of Eco-Complete, black
- Manzanita
- Grapewood (might not use this)
- 5lbs Seiryu stones

And I already have:
- T5HO bulbs, 1x 6500k 24w & 1x Aquaflora 24w, plus TrueLumen LEDs
- 2 bags of pool sand for a top layer of substrate
- 2x AC50 HOB filters

My tank sits barren with only faux plants and decor at the moment. Once everything starts rolling in, I'll be tearing it up to build it all over again!

My biggest concern is a tannin leech and a rise in my GH. Our locale already has liquid rock for water, so I may look into a softening product.

Since this tank will be planted, I also have camo green monofilament to help tie down the plants which would rather float easier, black plastic canvas to tie to, and the tools to help with the 'scape.

Pictures will be forthcoming!

Oh, and did I mention I live for feedback and opinions? ??

? Diana Lee ?

36g Tropical Community

Im glad you agree with me on Tannins, i just spoke to someone about this and they said they didnt need to soak their wood. YOU CERTAINLY DO! Get those nasty tannins out so your tank is nice and clear, not cloudy from the tannins!

Honestly, I'm more worried about the GH with the stones...

My GH is already off the scale. Literally! The API test doesn't even have a conversion for how many drops I had to put in that tiny tube...

Tannins will be tannins. I like wine. I like aged wine. So, generally, I like tannins. Since I'm buying the wood sight unseen, I plan to soak for a while, but do think a semi-blackwater tank would be out of the ordinary.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Tropical Community

Honestly, I'm more worried about the GH with the stones...

My GH is already off the scale. Literally! The API test doesn't even have a conversion for how many drops I had to put in that tiny tube...

Tannins will be tannins. I like wine. I like aged wine. So, generally, I like tannins. Since I'm buying the wood sight unseen, I plan to soak for a while, but do think a semi-blackwater tank would be out of the ordinary.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Tropical Community

Dumb question...GH????

GH = General hardness. Where I live in FL, we get county water from the aquifers which means there is a lot of naturally hard water. It runs through limestone, sand and quartz deposits before we get it through the tap.

The term for our water is, appropriately, "liquid rock".

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

GH = General hardness. Where I live in FL, we get county water from the aquifers which means there is a lot of naturally hard water. It runs through limestone, sand and quartz deposits before we get it through the tap.

The term for our water is, appropriately, "liquid rock".

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

I see! Im gonna get our water tested this weekend!

No need to get a professional tester! If you have a white, crusty deposit on any sinks, showerheads, faucets, etc., you have water that is considered hard. If it takes you a while to rinse out the soap from your hair, your water's on the softer side. How hard or how soft can be measured by a simple API test. Neither is BAD, per se, but can be problematic for aquariums with specific needs, as far as I understand.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

No need to get a professional tester! If you have a white, crusty deposit on any sinks, showerheads, faucets, etc., you have water that is considered hard. If it takes you a while to rinse out the soap from your hair, your water's on the softer side. How hard or how soft can be measured by a simple API test. Neither is BAD, per se, but can be problematic for aquariums with specific needs, as far as I understand.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

They will test for free and its an awesome store. Over priced but the setup is awesome! Im gonna take it there anyways. Itll give me an excuse to go to the LFS

One does not need an EXCUSE to go to the LFS!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

One does not need an EXCUSE to go to the LFS!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Valid...

What species are you putting into the tank ?

You might look into picking up an RO set up. I'm done water changes with half tap and half distilled for my little tanks.

You can try Peat moss in your filter ?
Some tannins may help lower pH, just not so much that it blocks light for the fish. And true the stones might not be the best choice if hardness is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm using it for Class N Endler's. Want them to have a nice big home ?

Also, here is the current tank setup. Not very appealing, imho. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422639526.741892.jpg

Can't wait to tear it up!!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

With all of the fake stuff gone. Have the day off tomorrow, so I'll work on removing the gravel in anticipation of the Eco-Complete.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422659781.404648.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422659799.586050.jpg

Also, switched pulled out the Penguin 200 to make room for the new AC50. Love how quiet this tank just got!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Following. I enjoy transformations. Similar to fixer uppers on HGTV.
Yep, the ACs are quieter. Had two Marineland HOBs at one time. Glad I switched.
Tank will look nice with dark substrate.

Draining the tank... Eco-Complete should be arriving this morning. Also, decided to add some Tahitian moon sand to it instead of regular pool sand in order to keep the sleek black look.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422723796.179943.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422723813.681858.jpg

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Mockup in anticipation of plants, stone and manzanita branches...

Top view
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422725386.993000.jpg

Front view
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422725435.780757.jpg

Opinions?

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

I dont know what any of the things on your list are but im really liking branches that breach the surface atm, i like how it brings a tank into our space and liberates it from being contained beneath the water. Cant wait to c the finished product

275 lt planted tank

(Oranda) Kerr (f) blue
(Oranda) Bloom (m) blue
(Fantail) Boomer (f) gold
(Fantail) Sushi (f) calico

7 wcmm
6 zebras

I like the layout and hardscape. The only comments on plant locations would be for 5, 4, and 3 (Egeria, Blyxa, and Bacopa monnieri). Two of these can get tall so the may need frequent trimming. Not saying they should not be there, just keep an eye on them. Blyxa has a mounding, spreading growth pattern and might be better moved back a bit. I'm speaking from my perspective: I have a 20g long which is rather shallow; your tank is much deeper so this may not apply.
IMO I would leave a little space between the the front wall of the tank and the foreground plants. Makes maintenance easier without having the fight and uproot plants as you clean the glass near the substrate.
Have you ordered plants yet? Sent you a pm.

IMO I would leave a little space between the the front wall of the tank and the foreground plants. Makes maintenance easier without having the fight and uproot plants as you clean the glass near the substrate.
Have you ordered plants yet? Sent you a pm.

I hadn't thought about the gap; good point!

I plan on trimming regularly, so we'll see if the three you mentioned need to be moved. For now, things are slow at the office so I have AMPLE time on my hands to tinker!

Appreciate the insight; hopefully one day I'll have tanks like yours!! ☺️ And thanks for the PM!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Back
Top Bottom