36g Rescape to a Species Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got some of my first plants...planted!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422921030.531337.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422921059.632841.jpg

Also, added the Tahitian moon sand over the Eco-Complete. And you can see one of my many helpers... Lol

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

Sketches look good! it's probably too late but that moon sand will fall and youll have more Eco on top sooner than later. I found this out the hard way with flourite, luckily yours is all the same color;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sketches look good! it's probably too late but that moon sand will fall and youll have more Eco on top sooner than later. I found this out the hard way with flourite, luckily yours is all the same color;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Was going to use PFS instead of the Tahitian, then thought about density and sciency stuff, then got the black-on-black just to keep me from going color crazy! Lol

Do you think there's *too* much substrate? I have some plants which will develop hearty root systems, but am just worried I went a bit overboard on the substrate depth...

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Following

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please feel free to chime in, as well! I love hearing advice and critiques!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Love the shark!
What have you planted so far (in the last pic)?
When is the DW going in? Hopefully before the rest of the plants (hate to uproot them).
Substrate depth looks fine. If you are concerned you can remove a little from the front. I seem to lose substrate every time I remove plants or do a water change (hose gets too close to the surface).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just saw in another post that answered my question: Blyxa. You will be up to your gills in that stuff in no time. FYI - If you see a little melt the first week or two, i think that is not uncommon. New growth will replace the older and often algae covered leaves.

You may not have to be concerned about tannin leach because some fish like the darker water & even more germane is that the tannins are said to be healthy for them:

"It may be necessary (though unusual) during this "soil break-in period" to do some water changes to lower tannins. Some people use activated carbon in the filter if you wish to remove any yellow tannin effect (but realise these tannins are a health benefit to the tank animals." ~ Walstad method - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

Just a thought. <3

Ooooh ~ Gorgeous!!! I LOVE your rocks!!!!! Your bowfront is a beauty! Love what you've done so far. You've got the 'artist gene' dear lady.

If you like, come check out the new album I posted - Step by step rebuild of 2 gal bowl! HAHAHA World's FIRST EVER Dirted Bowl! :D

Following since we have the same tank size and you're helping me out with my scape;)

I'm using it for Class N Endler's. Want them to have a nice big home ?

Also, here is the current tank setup. Not very appealing, imho. View attachment 262722

Can't wait to tear it up!!

Better than many. Actually, I think one single thing would have totally transformed this and tied it all together -- I don't know the name of the plant, but it looks like medium-tallish (tank perspective) grass. If that had been in and among those other species which are (were) kind of standing alone, you would have thought it much more appealing, I believe.

Cheers!

I just saw in another post that answered my question: Blyxa. You will be up to your gills in that stuff in no time. FYI - If you see a little melt the first week or two, i think that is not uncommon. New growth will replace the older and often algae covered leaves.

Thank you for letting me know about the melt. I might have panicked otherwise!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Ooooh ~ Gorgeous!!! I LOVE your rocks!!!!! Your bowfront is a beauty! Love what you've done so far. You've got the 'artist gene' dear lady.

If you like, come check out the new album I posted - Step by step rebuild of 2 gal bowl! HAHAHA World's FIRST EVER Dirted Bowl! :D

Now THAT would be an awesome project!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

The tank is coming along nicely Dee. Nothing beats black substrate for showing the plants in full color. I started out with similar river stones as substrate like in your first incarnation of this tank and have eventually switched over to black substrate with either black or blue backgrounds on each planted tank i run. The picture you have on the back looks good with the substrate.

If you are worried about having too much substrate you can sometimes make the tank appear to have more depth by building the substrate up so the pile is taller at the back than at the front. I like to create a tiered look with my tanks by using some stones to create platforms or stages near the back of the tank and repeat the effect with lower levels gradually as you move towards the front.

You have a cute little helper too. Is that a Jack Russel or a Fox Terrier? My sister used to have a little fella like that who was a mix of Fox terrier and Chihuahua.

The tank is coming along nicely Dee. Nothing beats black substrate for showing the plants in full color. I started out with similar river stones as substrate like in your first incarnation of this tank and have eventually switched over to black substrate with either black or blue backgrounds on each planted tank i run. The picture you have on the back looks good with the substrate.

If you are worried about having too much substrate you can sometimes make the tank appear to have more depth by building the substrate up so the pile is taller at the back than at the front. I like to create a tiered look with my tanks by using some stones to create platforms or stages near the back of the tank and repeat the effect with lower levels gradually as you move towards the front.

You have a cute little helper too. Is that a Jack Russel or a Fox Terrier? My sister used to have a little fella like that who was a mix of Fox terrier and Chihuahua.

Thank you! I hope to place some seiryu stones and manzanita branches, too. They're coming in this week.

The little helper? She's my youngest fur-baby, lol. Her name is Arwen and she's a purebred chihuahua.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Thank you! I hope to place some seiryu stones and manzanita branches, too. They're coming in this week.

The little helper? She's my youngest fur-baby, lol. Her name is Arwen and she's a purebred chihuahua.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

I've been too cheap to splash out on Seiryu stone since it's worth a fortune at my LFS and their selection isn't that great anyway. I'd like to get enough to build a scape round Seiryu though. But where i live is surrounded by state forests and national parks so when I bushwalk I pilfer a lot of nice stones from nature. My obsession lately is black stone shot through with marble streaks. Stones like this are pretty abundant where i walk so I come home with loaded pockets too often. I spend a lot on good driftwood though.

I look forwards to seeing how the tank comes along when you get the rest of your hardscape in and your plants are all added.

Is Arwen a Lord of the rings inspired name? She's a cute chihuahua anyway.

So, got my Taiwan moss: letting it QT.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423105180.372800.jpg

Also, boiled some small pieces of DW for addition to the tank soon!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423105224.109741.jpg

The larger manzanita branches should be in late next week. Then it's time for the big stock pot!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

You're a good little fish-mama, Dee, boiling that wood. :D The black sand is really stunning, as someone else already noted. It's going to look awesome, we can all see that already. Carry on!

Back
Top Bottom