Finaly A Largemouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i put a minnow in a he launched out of the water to get it! (SO COOL) :cool::cool::cool::cool:

lucky he did not get out of the tank.....

WD what kind of mice? pinkies?

just went fishing this last weekend and watched about a 3-6lbs bass take down a bluegill the size of my hand fyi. ive also seen them eat snakes and ducks

just went fishing this last weekend and watched about a 3-6lbs bass take down a bluegill the size of my hand fyi. ive also seen them eat snakes and ducks

striped bass are worse, they'll eat anything from large rats to 15+lb trout...

i gave my LMB to my friend, he had a pond and was better able to take care of him. theres actually a picture of him up for voting in the freshwater section....

striped bass are worse, they'll eat anything from large rats to 15+lb trout...

i gave my LMB to my friend, he had a pond and was better able to take care of him. theres actually a picture of him up for voting in the freshwater section....

WOW! anyone know what kind of mice to feed my bass?

Probably start with a feeder pinkie from the pet shop. Make sure he is already taking food that size from the water surface first.....or else you will have a drowned mouse floating around in there.

Also, make sure your lid is secure on that tank. I used to have a small mouth that was about a foot long. He kept jumping out of the tank. I ended up letting him go back to the wild, figuring the 55gal tank i had was too small in the long run.

Cool fish though. Would love to have a massive tank with freshwater game fish.....

THATS INSANE!

did you catch anything?

Yeah these fish are crazy sometimes. I caught quite a few actually. Spawning just started too. We thought we had a smallmouth at one point because of the coloration but it jumped off the hook before we landed it in the boat for further inspection. Biggest Ive ever caught is about a 4-pounder up in canada. My grandfather is a fisherman and I was in florida when he landed a 12-pounder once...that is a big fish. A 55 is rarely enough to keep these fish in. If anything, unless you have a pond, a largemouth bass is more of a temporary resident because they grow so large

Do you have a pond? What in the world are you going to do with a LMB and channel cat? Sorry, had to ask.

He might send em to me for my 9k gallon game fish tank at work.

Lets see a pic of the bucketmouth..... Id like to see how big he is getting, cause to be honest, you should put 2 dozen or so roaches in there( not insect roaches, the HUGE minnow one) every 2-3 days.

it can take full grown mice now, however you gotta do some prep work to the mice, much like a snake.

i will be moving him into a pond along with the channel.

he is getting real big!
he seems very happy and is taking food from my hand.
channel is being mean to him a night.... but he does not seem bothered so oh well...

can i buy roaches in a baitstore?

Please don't release captive fish back into the wild, even to the water where they were originally caught. You can't know what tropical diseases they may have been exposed to in your tank, even if they aren't showing symptoms. This kind of thing has been the direct cause of some extremely invasive laws, especially around the Great Lakes area, that have really made it hard on native fish hobbyists. If you can't keep the fish, you need to kill it. Don't ever let it go.

Good discussion on the topic:
Why Release of Captive-Kept Fish is Unacceptable - NANFA Forum

it doesnt need to be killed, it can be donated to a number of places.

Fishlover, where are you again? if you got a livewell/aerated bucket you can transport it easily.

On a side not, my musky died, tried eating a small mouth that was bigger then its throat and choked to death overnight.

Absolutely, if you can find someone to take it off your hands of course that would be preferred.

He knows I will take them its just a matter of getting from Pa to chicago.

If he is close enough there are two other stores one in Pa one in Wv that will also take them off his hands, especially if he mentions he knows me. They are already too big for a 55, a game tank needs to be atleast 250 gallons for jsut bluegill and maybe a channel cat but these are social fish they cant live alone, they get very very mean.

fish, you gotta give accurate sizes, as in lengths weights and girths.

The channel is capable of killing the bass yes. do you need to worry? not really if it happens it happens.

Either of those fish would eat the other in a second given the chance. As long as they are well matched in size I doubt they'll fight for territory, but they are both active predators.

My bass is prob 1 inch bigger than the channel.... yet the channel is ramming into him.... why? should i be worried?

Back
Top Bottom