Finaly A Largemouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nice, but yeah a little too big for that tank.

I am working all night tonight I will get some pics/video of the largemouths eating any crawfish I find in the parking lot at work.

where did you get your channel cat?? i have warmouth bass now and have had largemouth in the past but ive always tried to find a cat.

what size tank is that. Also would a 75 gal be way to small to hold a bass of any type???

BMG no, but itll need a bigger tank eventually a 75g will get it growing quickly but a 250 is optimal.

Another way to tell is if you got him in a warmer lake wtih bluegill channel and other bass or a colder lake that has trout like fish in it? BASS ARE WARM WATER FISH

Bass are not warm water fish, they do fine with heat but they are a mid 60 degree fish that can tolerate temps down into the 30's.

Largemouth and smallmouth speaking, not peacocks or the like.

If they were warm water fish canada and most of the bordering states wouldnt have them due to the water freezing nearly solid during the winter in a few lakes they inhabit. I have over 2 dozen large and smallies here at work, some are in a tank @ 58 degrees some are in a 62 degree tank.

We have a ton of bass up here in the river, and let me tell you, IT GETS COLD! It does not freeze over all the way, but the top does. We also have catfish we can catch by the dozens, when they are babies, with a net. They are actually the whole reason I have the fish I do now lol. I put them back in the river from the tank out back cause the kid who caught them wasn't feeding them. When I fed them, I cut up a worm and put it in there and you would think there were tiny sharks in there lol. They would shake the piece back and forth, which was too funny coming from a 1 inch long baby fish!

I had a little channel cat in one of my tanks and let him go when he got almost eating size. Cool fish, I fed him from a fork, and he was a true serial killer. Loved him.

Please don't release captive fish, even into waters where they are native. They can be exposed to all sorts of tropical diseases in captivity which they can spread to wild populations, and if you had the bad luck to release a fish like a channel cat into a body of water that didn't already have channel cats it could do catastrophic damage to smaller prey fish.

Yep, infact its against federal law to release an animal that was previously in captivity. Two examples, the hog epidemic in the south and the snakehead captures in several inland US bodies of water.

The DNR look at it worse then poaching to be honest with you.

Interesting, But yes they exist in the lake, I eat them, and the fish was by itself in the tank. I see where you are coming from though.

feeder goldfish

OKAY! no goldfish... GOT IT!

my channel cats getting huge

I have had this peacock bass for quite some time and he eats feeder rosy reds and comet goldfish from petco, I do hit non native wild fish beds with a dip net sometimes, and he seems to be doing ok. I also included a pic of a largemouth I just got today....

Attachments

• PICT1590.jpg
    PICT1590.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 72
  • PICT1594.jpg
    PICT1594.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 67
  • PICT1596.jpg
    PICT1596.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 72
I have had this peacock bass for quite some time and he eats feeder rosy reds and comet goldfish from petco, I do hit non native wild fish beds with a dip net sometimes, and he seems to be doing ok. I also included a pic of a largemouth I just got today....

Insainly cool!!!

Thanks for posting!

my girl freind has a bull head in her tank and hes about 8-9in long, while the creek behind her house is froze over we get gold feeders from a pet store to feed him. if its been 5 days or so sence he has had food when we put them in he will nail 1 or 2 with the light on but most of the rtime he dosnt move unless the light is off , she has had golds that got the fuzzys(not real sure what it is) but the bull head has never got enything from it. the bulegill and pearch that we have tryed to put in there have got it if they survived the bull the head over night. he killed a 6in long hog sucker we netted didnt eat him just had perfect white jaw lines on his back and underside lol (crushed him we thinkz)

Back
Top Bottom