Sister's first Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoyoteWildfire

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, my sister has had a betta named Bildeschoen. You'll have to forgive the spelling, as it might be off, but it's German for "pretty as a picture". I took this picture yesterday.

img_1292102_0_bca61c66ff45b834ca0d79381d5d1018.jpg

I already know what you're thinking.

So begins my long-winded and boring story. My sister turned 11 today, and I gave her a 5.5(ish?)-gallon tank that I had gotten off of CL for 10 dollars. Was a bit beaten up and needed some love (cleaning mostly), but otherwise no leaks or damaged equipment. I also had some extras sitting around. All I had to get for her was gravel and she was good to go!

After all the festivities were done, she was quite excited to get to start her new home for her fish.

img_1292102_1_97b41cfef1729a5171945faca1e35381.jpg

img_1292102_2_3d9d22af56155d41e94f868f115d9576.jpg

img_1292102_3_8f92f28d8f5936d7a3364816a604e999.jpg

With my help, she was able to get her substrate and equipment up and running pretty quickly. I trimmed some of the plants in my 29-gallon tank to help with the cycling and got them planted for her. She went about the interior decoration herself, however.

img_1292102_4_99dd1ec9de0fb7e7fe6509b8f4906d8b.jpg

She also had a number of rocks from her established Betta bowl that she spread around the tank to help with cycling. As the tank was almost finished, she started floating her Betta. The cup had a crack in it and a hole in the top to help mix the water slowly.

img_1292102_5_397c65181b9b87f4f9a8fd73724ef876.jpg

And here is the finished product:

img_1292102_6_805240b0a674a1faa68a4bffaf34ce0b.jpg

After spending all his life in a cup and small bowl, Bildeschoen didn't know what to do with the added space.

img_1292102_7_d99f1ec6c8f5667b3ad6a46bd4db2ac3.jpg

Though not necessarily ideal, I will be helping her with her fish-in cycle. I have the API Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate test kits, and have been teaching her about PWCs and water dechlorination. Soon, she will be another member of the knowledgeable members of the aquatic community and (God-forbid) if anything should happen to her Betta, she will have a tank in which she can do other things with years down the road.

Looks like a great start! I don't think the cycle will be too bad. If you could add a bit of the filter media from your 29 into the filter on this tank, that would help substantially.

fort384 said:
Looks like a great start! I don't think the cycle will be too bad. If you could add a bit of the filter media from your 29 into the filter on this tank, that would help substantially.

+1

CoyoteWildfire said:
So, my sister has had a betta named Bildeschoen. You'll have to forgive the spelling, as it might be off, but it's German for "pretty as a picture". I took this picture yesterday.

I already know what you're thinking.

So begins my long-winded and boring story. My sister turned 11 today, and I gave her a 5.5(ish?)-gallon tank that I had gotten off of CL for 10 dollars. Was a bit beaten up and needed some love (cleaning mostly), but otherwise no leaks or damaged equipment. I also had some extras sitting around. All I had to get for her was gravel and she was good to go!

After all the festivities were done, she was quite excited to get to start her new home for her fish.

With my help, she was able to get her substrate and equipment up and running pretty quickly. I trimmed some of the plants in my 29-gallon tank to help with the cycling and got them planted for her. She went about the interior decoration herself, however.

She also had a number of rocks from her established Betta bowl that she spread around the tank to help with cycling. As the tank was almost finished, she started floating her Betta. The cup had a crack in it and a hole in the top to help mix the water slowly.

And here is the finished product:

After spending all his life in a cup and small bowl, Bildeschoen didn't know what to do with the added space.

Though not necessarily ideal, I will be helping her with her fish-in cycle. I have the API Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate test kits, and have been teaching her about PWCs and water dechlorination. Soon, she will be another member of the knowledgeable members of the aquatic community and (God-forbid) if anything should happen to her Betta, she will have a tank in which she can do other things with years down the road.

Such a great brother. If I was in her situation my brother would have suggested eating fish for dinner. :(

Yeah, he thinks he's so funny.

Good luck to her and her Betta!

My sister and I both know she can't keep her small pets alive, so she just likes to look at mine and name one or so. But I've had to stop that too... Cause every one she names dies!!!

Homedog98 said:
My sister and I both know she can't keep her small pets alive, so she just likes to look at mine and name one or so. But I've had to stop that too... Cause every one she names dies!!!

Haha. Okay. Sorry, I know it's not funny. :(

You should let her name them and then unname them.

Such a great brother. If I was in her situation my brother would have suggested eating fish for dinner. :(

My entire family suggests that :( I wrote on facebook once that one of my goldies died (telescope eyed :( ) and my aunt was like "dinner at Candles!" I got upset lol

Bettababe1011 said:
Haha. Okay. Sorry, I know it's not funny. :(

You should let her name them and then unname them.

Tried that too! Any fish I dedicate to her seems to die... I feel bad for my sister. Maybe I'll let her keep my ten gallon in her room... Or maybe I'll buy her a Betta... Ya... I think I'll go with the Betta... maybe I can get it to stay alive!

Homedog98 said:
Tried that too! Any fish I dedicate to her seems to die... I feel bad for my sister. Maybe I'll let her keep my ten gallon in her room... Or maybe I'll buy her a Betta... Ya... I think I'll go with the Betta... maybe I can get it to stay alive!

Aw. Poor doomed Betta! Lol. JK, JK.

Yes. Tell her, this is your Betta, his name is Fred. Don't change the name or Fred will be dead!! Lol. Kidding again. I had a Betta named Fred who died prematurely. Still not sure what happened.

Please keep the thread on track. Let's keep it to comments about the OP.

Bettababe1011 said:
Yes. Tell her, this is your Betta, his name is Fred. Don't change the name or Fred will be dead!! Lol. Kidding again. I had a Betta named Fred who died prematurely. Still not sure what happened.

Aww! Well, she and I just made a deal. I give her a few options, and she picks out the bottom feeder for my ten gallon once I'm done with the 29.

Homedog98 said:
Aww! Well, she and I just made a deal. I give her a few options, and she picks out the bottom feeder for my ten gallon once I'm done with the 29.

Okay. Sounds good.

But we just got in trouble again. :(

The tank looks really good! My question is...when do the live plants come in :) haha...it's a great birthday present, for real!

That's awesome! She must have been SO happy :grin: I wish my betta tank looked half that good :sad: lol I have very few decorations

Such a great brother. If I was in her situation my brother would have suggested eating fish for dinner. :sad:

Thank you everyone! She was suitably pleased. Out of all the gifts she got (she's the youngest, and suitably spoiled), that was the only one she wigged out about and kept saying thank you, thank you, thank you, with emphasis.

Even my girlfriend enjoyed sitting up in my sister's room just looking at it! And she co-manages my 29G with me.

Coyote, let us know how the tank cycle goes :grin:

Will do. Thank you all for your support and identifying with our happiness! I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

The tank looks really good! My question is...when do the live plants come in :) haha...it's a great birthday present, for real!

The live plants are already in there. There's some anacharis, some myrio, and a little moneywort. :]

Back
Top Bottom