Sister's first Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaha...i knew it couldn't take long for real plants to creep in :) yay!

Joyler said:
Maybe it will be another victim of...MTS!!! Woohoo

Haha, she should come to the dark side. We have... Fish. It's better than cookies. Be sure to tell her that Coyote.

LOL. I'll be sure to let her know.

And yes, she'll be willing to keep up with the maintenance. She's actually be remarkably responsible with Bildeschoen so far. Mom made her get a Betta care book and read it all the way through before allowing her to have the fish. Mom wanted to be sure that the Betta would have a proper home and would not be neglected.

That's good. I'm sure that her Betta, can't type that name, will be in the perfect hands. You of course already know that!!

CoyoteWildfire said:
LOL. I'll be sure to let her know.

And yes, she'll be willing to keep up with the maintenance. She's actually be remarkably responsible with Bildeschoen so far. Mom made her get a Betta care book and read it all the way through before allowing her to have the fish. Mom wanted to be sure that the Betta would have a proper home and would not be neglected.

Awww I think mom needs a Betta too!!

Mom actually owned an aquarium when she was younger. Had kissing gouramis and other types of fish in it. She really enjoyed it...

Although she didn't actually know as much about the whole thing as I do now, she also had a basic understanding that was passed onto my sister. Currently, though she doesn't have a Betta, she does have two Peacock Gudgeons in my tank. Right now the male is guarding the nest of eggs that the female laid.

Overall, it's not been just a learning experience for me, but for my whole family and that I think is a beautiful thing. And that learning experience is why I got the tank for her. With some luck, we'll have the tank cycled pretty quickly, even with the single-stage cartridge in her filter.

So am I... I never cared about fish and fish care as much as I do now... I love seeing a tank flourish, even if it's just a Betta, a snail and some plants.

My brother, my girlfriend, my sister, my mom and even my girlfriend's friend (mutual friend of ours now) has creatures in my tank. It's been a really awesome unifying factor.

I think apart from getting a new home for Bildeschoen, the bet part was the quality time I got to spend with my sister. I had her take the reigns for most of the tank prep except the difficult parts like carrying the water, or planting the plants.

That's so awesome, At her age it's great to spend time with a big brother who is so nice to her, and sets a good example. I work at a camp every summer and see kids who normally have no one to really look up to, your family is blessed :D
(yup, 5:40 in the AM and I still havent slept :S )

*laugh* It was 8:40 here. Needless to say though, I was still asleep.

Thank you for the compliments, though... That is definitely something I aim for. I will not deny that my family is very blessed. Even with hardship we've been enduring lately, we all know that our family members are our biggest advocates and friends.

So, had my sister do her first PWC in the new tank today. Showed her how to siphon the water out, get new water at roughly the same temperature as the tank, treat the water, and introduce it back into the tank. She surprised me too, as she pulled out another form of water treatment she had, BettaMin from Aqueon. Apparently it reintroduces essential nutrients and minerals into the water. She's definitely serious about taking care of this fish.

*laugh* It was 8:40 here. Needless to say though, I was still asleep.

Thank you for the compliments, though... That is definitely something I aim for. I will not deny that my family is very blessed. Even with hardship we've been enduring lately, we all know that our family members are our biggest advocates and friends.

So, had my sister do her first PWC in the new tank today. Showed her how to siphon the water out, get new water at roughly the same temperature as the tank, treat the water, and introduce it back into the tank. She surprised me too, as she pulled out another form of water treatment she had, BettaMin from Aqueon. Apparently it reintroduces essential nutrients and minerals into the water. She's definitely serious about taking care of this fish.
+1 for your sister! :D

Back
Top Bottom