Tank problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, I've addressed this problem before but it doesn't seem like I'm getting anywhere.
So at first the employees at my LFS told me I had extremely high ph. So I bought a bottle of ph decrease and over the course of about a week, ended up having an empty bottle with still a ph of around 8.
When I started I had four fish. Now I have two...
So then the employees said oh try the ph 7.0
Bought that.
Again over the course of now about two weeks I've ended up emptying it with little change. I think the lowest I had it was 7.6.
Well it's back to 8.4 since I stopped using it...
By this time I have zero fish.
Now I hear about ammonia cycling...great.
I'm starting that now. I've dosed it up to 4ppm (so says my lfs employees) I'm lax to buy any more additives because none seem to do anything. But I've got the ace hardware pure ammonia. I don't know anybody to get a seed from. Which I wish I could. This is stressing me out beyond belief. Anyway, apparently my nitrates and nitrites were "ok" too.
Don't really know if I've even got any nitrifying bacteria.
I've got well water which is apparently really soft. Oh, and my alkalinity is "off their charts"...
Since my ph is high I was hoping to try cichlids because they are more hardy than tropical. Ive got a 29 gallon tank.
Please. Help.

Lowering PH is a tough thing to do. Distilled water mixed with tap is by far the best way to go. Most fish can adapt to most water conditions or pick fish that will be at home in it. You have time to worry about that until your cycle finishes.

Welcome and good luck.

Are you using your own test kit kit or is the LFS testing your water?

roundar said:
Are you using your own test kit kit or is the LFS testing your water?

The LFS tested my ammonia and told me my ph.
I have a ph test tube kit, but it always goes off the chart... It's max it 7,6, a light blue. Mine tends to be a darker shade of blue.
As far as ammonia, I have that tester that you stick to the inside of your tank. It's max is only 0.5ppm though. Which is a dark blue. My reader is showing a light blue. But apparently its 4ppm.

Honestly if it were me I'd want to use the API Master Freshwater Kit. For me personally I wouldn't want to start tackling this problem without a firm grasp on what all my levels were.

And before you delve into cichlids--all but Rams and a few shell-dwelling species will not do in a 29. They need a 4-foot tank.

roundar said:
Honestly if it were me I'd want to use the API Master Freshwater Kit. For me personally I wouldn't want to start tackling this problem without a firm grasp on what all my levels were.

Your right.
And thank you both for responding so quickly. It's a big help :)

Rosenweiss said:
And before you delve into cichlids--all but Rams and a few shell-dwelling species will not do in a 29. They need a 4-foot tank.

Yes so I've been told.

My tank had a high ph and all my fish they require 7.5 and below and they do great just dont get fish that need below 7u should be good... Using additives only fixes the problem for a day or so and the ups and downs is what affects the fish if u keep it constant they do fine

My tank had a high ph and all my fish they require 7.5 and below and they do great just dont get fish that need below 7u should be good... Using additives only fixes the problem for a day or so and the ups and downs is what affects the fish if u keep it constant they do fine

I second this, it was probably the additives or the lack of a cycle that killed the fish, not the high ph. Also with a 29 gallon you still have lots of good choices for cichlids, they just may be a little harder to find. Look into the apistogramma's they come in many varieties and top out at about 3 and 1/2 inches. Also you could check out kribens, or occies. Not sure about the scientific names of those but if you just google those nicknames it should link you to them.

I'm hoping that's the case.
Also, will the bacteria occur naturally? I didnt seed or anything. I should but I don't have any friends with tanks.
Thank you all for the info!

I'm hoping that's the case.
Also, will the bacteria occur naturally? I didnt seed or anything. I should but I don't have any friends with tanks.
Thank you all for the info!

Yep its kinda like magic...or science. But i prefer to think of it as magic haha

It's important to understand that ammonia is much more toxic when your PH is high. Ammonia levels of 3ppm aren't dangerous with a PH below 7, but ammonia levels of .25ppm are dangerous when the PH is in the 8.2+ range.* So it was probably high PH combined with even a low level of ammonia. Once you have a test kit and carefully find out what your levels are at you can make a more clear decision, see where your PH falls when everything is under normal circumstances(after the tank is cycled most likely), and then make your stocking decisions based on your findings. Also, if you want to fishless cycle this is a must: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

* Ammonia Toxicity

roundar said:
It's important to understand that ammonia is much more toxic when your PH is high. Ammonia levels of 3ppm aren't dangerous with a PH below 7, but ammonia levels of .25ppm are dangerous when the PH is in the 8.2+ range.* So it was probably high PH combined with even a low level of ammonia. Once you have a test kit and carefully find out what your levels are at you can make a more clear decision, see where your PH falls when everything is under normal circumstances(after the tank is cycled most likely), and then make your stocking decisions based on your findings. Also, if you want to fishless cycle this is a must: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

* Ammonia Toxicity
I actually just learned that today. I'll see what it says :)

Another problem I'd like to address.
My tank water and tap water, seems to have a yellowish tinge. Which is not going away. Is this an excess of calcium or what?
And should I use a water clarity on my tank or... What.
Please let ^me know.

Attachments

• image-3764018087.jpg
    image-3764018087.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom