cj10488's 55g Agressive Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Well I figured that Since I was bored I would take a picture of my 29g Agressive Tank..

Update 04/30/04: This tank has since been upgraded to a True Vu 55g Acrylic

The Tank inhabitants
Damsel
Baby Humu Trigger

Friday will also house a Baby Volitan Lion fish (Died)

As for Liverock there is 30lbs of LR and 30lbs of Base rock Thanks to Liverocks.com

Corals..
Zoos
Xenia
Browned out purple Acropora Colony That started to RTN in main tank.

Lighting
1 55w Catalina 10k PC bulb
1 55w Hamilton Actinic PC bulb

Waterchange schedule..
When I remember

Testing..
Seachem's Ammonia Alert
Other than that no other testing is really done yet.

Tank has been up for approx 11months.. Used to be a "unwanted Habitants" tank... I threw in a Baby trigger that I got on sale and a local Friend gave me a damsel that he no longer wanted.. Its been extremely nice having something to look at in this tank finally.. I have ordered a Baby Volitan Lionfish as well.. Future plans for the tank are to tank it down and replace it with the Main 55g tank after the main tank gets upgraded to a 240g Long. Everything will be plumbed together thru the main system with a 240g Long Reef tank and the 55g Agressive tank setup in an L shape.. Hopefully I will be able to get a stand built in an L shape to house all the equiptment... The empty 29g will become a secondary Fuge to the main system for even more nutrient export... All this will happen in approx 9 months for those that Know the current inhabitants are going to get too big for the tank... If need be I have a friend with a spare 55g that I can setup if the fish grow too rapidly.. I am also getting a 5.5g NanoReef Bowfront for my computer desk that should be showcased within a few months...

Thanks Again,
James

Yeah the velvet is bigger than the Trigger but neither one bothers each other.. The Huma Trigger doesnt back down and chases the Velvet around LOL.. I cant wait to get the Baby volitan in there...

velvet damsels are mean too
He doesnt seem as mean as my Yellow tail thats in my Main tank LOL.. My yellow tail Draws blood from me now if he gets a good bite on me when my hand is in the tank.. As soon as I can catch him he is gone.. LOL.. He can become trigger or Lion food..

No problems with the trigger and the corals? I thought triggers were not reef safe?

I have a 29 gal that has hitchhiker crabs in it and I have yet to decide what to do with it. It started out as a curing vessle, then as a QT and not I hate to take it down since it is cycled and all :)

It is either going in the fish closet or my office ...

The trigger so far has not bothered the Zoos or the Xenia.. the Browned out purple Acropora Colony That started to RTN in main tank I could care less about but he doesnt seem to bother it either...

I have a 29 gal that has hitchhiker crabs in it and I have yet to decide what to do with it
Have you thought about a smaller lion fish like the Radiata or one of the other smaller ones..

I wouldn't go my route as its more of an evil plan to get my Large 240g reef tank a bit sooner... Get the wife addicted to the fish while they are babies and then force her into an upgrade for them as they wont survive in such a small tank... Thats Why I got babies so she has time to get addicted.. LOL I have already made her aware
"Honey those fish are going to need a bigger tank.. Not right now but in a few months like 6-9... You can Have my 55g and I can get a bigger tank for me..." LOL

Yes I am evil,
James

"Honey those fish are going to need a bigger tank.. Not right now but in a few months like 6-9... You can Have my 55g and I can get a bigger tank for me..."

Funny thing about it is the 75gal I upgraded for my wife. I was going to put a baby Pork puffer in the 29 and get a 55 gal sometime later. I have always liked puffers. She has lost interest in the 75 so I don't know if I want 2 tanks ...

Can't waste an established set up though :)

MTS has me, ARGHHHH :)

Good Luck with your future upgrades.

Well my Volitan Lion came in today.. HEre is a couple Pictures...

James

Careful with those babies. A friend of mine (over 200 lbs) got stung by the dorsal spines of a dead baby volitan and was knocked unconscious immediately. Venemous things!!

Yeah I am very aware about them I have always been impressed with them and it was time to get a baby one.. I love it..

James

I actually used Hara's method and acclimated him in a bucket and then used some tupperware to introduce him into the tank.. A little water got into the tank but no biggy..

James

Careful with those babies. A friend of mine (over 200 lbs) got stung by the dorsal spines of a dead baby volitan and was knocked unconscious immediately. Venemous things!!

Did you see this or did you "hear" it? I've been stung by adult volitans on more than one occasion, and it hurts, but if your friend was knocked unconcsious....he's kind of a wimp.

LOL, I was thinking the same but not going to post it. If he went "out" it was probably shock and fear that got him moreso than the sting. Ever been nailed by an angry wasp? There you go.

I knew it was a little offensive when I posted it, and for that I am truely sorry, but I felt it necessary for people to have a healthy respect for the fish, yet not be terrified of it. If they are constantly paranoid that the fish will knock them out or kill them...they will make a mistake that will get them hurt.

so did you handle it, physically?
well you answered my real question anyway, but I meant to ask how did you handle it. :?

and as far as getting stung... just like getting stung by a wasp is no big whoop to you or me... there are those who could die if they don't make it to the hospital when stung by wasp. IMO, better safe than sorry.

I'm not alergic to bees or wasps either, but when I got jabbed by my long spine urchin while cleaning the tank I had fairly "not so warm a fuzzy" burning sensation in my whole hand.

(and yes... I'm paranoid :D )

there are those who could die if they don't make it to the hospital when stung by wasp. IMO, better safe than sorry.

That is not at issue, anyone can have an allergic reaction, and if your home alone, chances are you better have an epistick or you ain't gonna make it to the hospital, but you will be wide awake until your throat closes completely and you have no air supply left.

Well it was a sad day but the Lion fish died a few days ago.. I dont know why but I guess i'll move on.. I have been given a 55g Acrylic tank and stand and closed loop system that is getting ready to be setup.. Its about half full of Water right now and Filling... I hope to have everything moved over to the new tank sometime tomorrow afternoon evening and will be retiring the 29g to being a fuge for my Reef Tank... Its about time my wife gets a bigger tank for her agressive fish anyways... Soon I will be putting up pictures of the 55g tank and renaming this Thread to fit the tank..

Hopefully all goes well with the switch..

James

Thanks.. My wife doesnt know yet but she has been wanting a Dog faced puffer since she saw one about a yr ago.. I am going to try and track one down for her for Mothers Day... I have been telling her no for the last year and She would be very happy if she got one finally... I Hope I happen to find a nice cheap healthy one around here...

James

Back
Top Bottom