We are going for a different look!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slow is the way to go. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby Start a journal it helps a lot as you can go back and look at what was added or done when the questions start I have some that go back 30 yrs there FW my saltys go back 11yrs
I even write down the cost of things lol

Wow, that's must be some journal, with a wealth of experience! I bet that it must be interesting to compare prices back then to now!

yea it's kinda cool my 1st tank was a 20g slate bottomed with chrome trim lol It took 63 days to cycle OMG! and had 6 neon tetras even had a high tec undergravel filter lmao we've come a long ways

Bought some live rock fragments today, I managed to get them mega cheap (uk prices!) as the LFS put it through the till wrong, I got near on 1kg for £4!

Anyway have scattered them on and around the ship!

Attachments

• image-2023952353.jpg
    image-2023952353.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 407
  • image-3822756933.jpg
    image-3822756933.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 402
I was going to do this on my next build. I think it would cool to have coral all over that ship. They put ships in reefs to help rebuild hurt reefs, so it is man made nature. If that makes sense.

Nice! I've always wanted to setup a non-natural tank like that with a theme and everything to scale. Like a little "city" for the fish to hang out.

can I make a suggestion though?

-I would arrange the 3 sections in a way that kind of mimics a natural shipwreck. Maybe bury the front section with the nose pointing upwards on the left side, and then place the last 2 sections close together on the right side, as if the ship has split and creates a V shape. You would definitely need some more substrate though. I have a vision but it's hard to describe in words. haha. Just keep the golden ration in mind. Makes everything alot more pleasing to the eye.

Either way...Whatever YOU like is all that matters :) Good luck. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

WOW looking amazing so far. I can't wait for the finished product!

Just bought lots more live rock, going to take ages to scape!! Pictures coming soon!

Found 3 lil starfish hitchickers!!

Attachments

• image-2217425767.jpg
    image-2217425767.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 424
  • image-2229192743.jpg
    image-2229192743.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 462
NEW PICTURES!!! lol got lots more LR good price too as the guy who weighed it didn't seem bothered at all and majorly rounded the figures down! Two bits have beautiful coraline algae all over them!

Took ages for us to place the rock!

Attachments

• image-3718542488.jpg
    image-3718542488.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 457
  • image-894508493.jpg
    image-894508493.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 448
  • image-2269780851.jpg
    image-2269780851.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 437
  • image-3740935001.jpg
    image-3740935001.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 417
You got some mushrooms too you lucky dog i had to pay $15 for my 3 looks like you got 4 :)

That bit was a huge lump that the assistant manager threw in, for a ridiculously cheap price, out of one his tanks out the back as he knew I was interested in some of that lovely purple goodness! Grizz did you see the pics earlier of the starfish hitchhikers?!!

Yes saw the pics but couldnt see the stars just keep an eye on them as some will eat coral
went back and looked tiny little things :)

great job 'scaping! what kind of lighting are you running? and I'm curious as to your substrate. You said coral sand, would that mean its crushed coral? And what depth do you have?

OH, and the starfish hitch hikers... are they pretty small, like between 2 and maybe 7 millimeters? They could be Asterina sp, and depending on the genius are rather annoying. Mine chow down on coraline daily, and I am constantly removing them during water changes. I have an 8 gallon nano that had 1, and it now (a month later) has about 10. They strip mine sections of coraline. So, you might consider removing them if you see plenty of small white spots on your coraline. Coraline is normally thick and purple.

Hey Brighty, just taken another look at your setup which i would just like to add - awesome! I love what you have done with the scape and the ship will look even better when some life starts to appear on it. Someone previously mentioned zoas growing on it, it will take time but it will be a great look! Great work so far!

In regards to the Asterina (thank you for identifying as I wouldn't have a clue!) I now remember the manager at the lfs saying he added them to strip the coraline as it was getting way out of control!

Do you think I should get rid of them?!

Also thank you all for the great feedback! Now just some patience for livestock!

oO BRIGHTY Oo said:
In regards to the Asterina (thank you for identifying as I wouldn't have a clue!) I now remember the manager at the lfs saying he added them to strip the coraline as it was getting way out of control!

Do you think I should get rid of them?!

Also thank you all for the great feedback! Now just some patience for livestock!

You might not have to remove the starfish as thay could die off with your cycle progresion. To add to all the coments one of the best scapes I have seen in a long time good job and I cant wait to see it full of life

Just been back to my lfs to get water for my first pwc, had a good look at the blue throat trigger, thinking when the time comes I might just have to get me one of those!! But that's a long way off! How long should I leave the tank after my water change before I do a test?!

I would say let it filter for about an hour...to ensure that the tank has gone through a few turnovers of water

Back
Top Bottom